Marvell's 1 GHz Mobile CPU Speed Demon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processors like this are why Intel will never succeed in trying to bring x86 into devices smaller than little laptops with the Atom. The actual price of the PXA168 wasn't mentioned and Marvell's website has been knocked out (slashdotted?) but it will be significantly less expensive than the Atom due to the PXA168 being a complete SoC setup that can use a two-layer motherboard versus the two-chip setup of the Atom + US15W that requires a four-layer motherboard.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
of course the only problem with this is many programs on such devices are still written in slow as heck java, until that is gotten rid of maybe we'll see more power from current and new chips like this

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]of course the only problem with this is many programs on such devices are still written in slow as heck java, until that is gotten rid of maybe we'll see more power from current and new chips like this[/citation]

could not agree more. What kills me more is how common java is taught as the language to learn (at least in US schools). I have to take two Java based OOP classes for my undergrad.

I'm pretty sure high schools that have College Board advanced placement computer science classes are still force feeding students java too. My APCSII semester was the last one that was in c++. lucky me...

[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]could not agree more. What kills me more is how common java is taught as the language to learn (at least in US schools). I have to take two Java based OOP classes for my undergrad.I'm pretty sure high schools that have College Board advanced placement computer science classes are still force feeding students java too. My APCSII semester was the last one that was in c++. lucky me...[/citation]

Same with me, I was in the last class of NYIT to learn C++. Thats what you get when your professors havn't been in the field for 3 decades...

x86 in general is hard to bring to a phone, same as the architecture and way of use/implementation - memory bus, video adapter, south bridge etc, and intel wants slightly larger and more usable/capable devices (supporting windows etc) hence atom is a step in the right direction, but never intended for use in a mobile phone or similar device.

BTW as far as im aware Marvel bough out those designs from Intel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Xscale) - dont tell me intel isnt capable of making such a chip.

G

Already for a while Intel is claiming to bring a 1Watt chip.Though I heard little of it lately, that chip was said to be enough to do all everyday tasks like checking email, doing word processing and office tasks, viewing youtube and flashfiles...

1 watt is not that uncommon for cellphones, but it is, when it's optimized to do all of the above tasks!

It seems to me to be a close contender to that 'one watt chip' intel is claiming to bring; even looks like the one watt,aimed for Ultra Mobile internet devices (they say including mini netbooks,so I suspect it will perform like the silverthorne Atom processor), will be more powerful than this one.. I could be wrong about this though..

astroturtle

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I just got mine last night! Pretty sweet setup... The part that plugs into the wall socket is removable and accepts a power cord (included). Speed is pretty good. It comes preinstalled with Ubuntu and is pretty much plug-in and log-in.

So far I loaded mine up as a LAMP (linux, apache, mysql and php) server and got Samba and VSFTPd going. That takes about about 55% of the available 512MB. I also plugged in an external usb hard drive to beef up the cpacity.

I have my new file server/dev box! Yaay Sheeva!

astroturtle

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I just got mine last night! Pretty sweet setup... The part that plugs into the wall socket is removable and accepts a power cord (included). Speed is pretty good. It comes preinstalled with Ubuntu and is pretty much plug-in and log-in.

So far I loaded mine up as a LAMP (linux, apache, mysql and php) server and got Samba and VSFTPd going. That takes about about 55% of the available 512MB. I also plugged in an external usb hard drive to beef up the cpacity.

I have my new file server/dev box! Yaay Sheeva!

Status
Not open for further replies.