Massdrop 'Vast' 35-Inch Curved Gaming Monitor Breaks Price Barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jloopy

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
By high resolution, the author means UWQHD - the monitor you linked is UWFHD. If you're okay with a lower resolution, there are definitely some decent monitors sub-$800.

That said, there simply aren't any monitors in the same area code as this one when you consider all the features.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Hello malabarka:D

You are attempting to change this thread's topic. That's colloquially known as hi-jacking a thread. You can go to the forum homepage http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/all.html, click on ask the community and start your own thread with that question and as much details as possible.

jaxeran

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I personally have an Acer Z35 monitor (because I bought it used for $280 US) and I can tell you that the 1080p to 1440p is certainly noticable at this size. Looking at PG348 next to this makes the pixels look large and fairly ghastly, though when you see it without an immediate comparison it's not so bad.

Not completely on point with the other posts, but I just wanted to throw out there that for $800 it's a pretty decent deal, even if you run Nvidia and cannot take full advantage of Freesync, assuming you have a 980ti or better gpu, this monitor should be pretty great.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006

Maybe you forgot to look but the monitor you linked is only 1080 vertical resolution vs 1440 for this one.

The price on this monitor is amazing for what you get.

Not too bad of specs. Wish the free-sync lower end was lower.... much closer to 24-30FPS (Don't want GPU to go that low, but would rather it was capable just in case)... be nice if the upper end was higher... 120-240. Maybe one day soon it will be higher though.

Why?

That's probably available at a higher price point. Consider my first answer. That has a refresh rate of 144Hz and Freesync so the top end is covered better for your wants. The bottom end, closer to 30 would be nicer to cover the lower end builds/frame drops. I think V-sync would be appropriate for that.

Your first answer is fine.... for 1080p (UWFHD in this case)... if you want UWQHD though, the ballgame is a little different as it is with 4K and the future 8K.

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I think you can pick up the Dell UW3415 for about the same price off the Outlet store from time to time. I think it actually hit ~500 with a promo code and ~$450 with Ebates. I don't think it happens often, so this, equipped with FreeSync, is pretty much a steal. Hopefully we see it become more normal after a while. The price premium for ultrawide and curved is pretty high. I would prefer IPS, but for people who only game, this is practically a dream come true.

I'm not sure why people see the power components in the panel rather than a brick as a pro. It just makes the monitor heavier, which means a more expensive VESA mount (not sure if applicable to this monitor).

Samsung has a number of curved monitors that do portrait mode, although I think they top out at about 31.5 inches. That's at 16:9 aspect ratio though, so that display and this one both have similar screen sizes in terms of total area, even if this one being wider might make it a bit more unwieldy in portrait mode. I must say that the image of this screen in portrait mode is rather amusing though. It looks kind of like a funhouse mirror...

https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/product-images/massdrop-vast-gaming-monitor/tallw_20170912163849.jpg

The lack of swivel doesn't seem all that unusual though, since you still have the option of simply turning the screen on your desk. That might not be as smooth, but swivel probably isn't going to be something most people use that often anyway.

Jagwired

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
I want to make the jump to an ultra wide curved monitor. I'm waiting for the resolutions to hit 5160x2160 (and for video cards capable of supporting it).

D

Deleted member 217926

I've been eyeballing this thing for a while now. Might have to grab one if they do another drop. I've given them too much money lately!

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

HDR10 for cheap is not going to happen soon ... Actually I want Gsync for Cheap and waiting for them

voodoochicken

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I have an i5 6600K and a GTX 1080. I'm looking for a best-of-worlds monitor that I can game, stream, and photo edit (#!@$ing unicorn I know). I'm a bit familiar with AU-0's panels, but I have to say, I haven't seen any monitors that made me want to throw money at it.

thescout

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
What is Massdrop and do they follow through?

This is the first I am hearing of them. I like the specs and price on this monitor.

D

Deleted member 217926

Massdrop is a group buy site where the price goes down based on the number of people buying an item. They also do collaborations with manufacturers on certain products like this where you end up with a product that's exclusive to Massdrop. They've really made a name for themselves over the last few years with their audiophile products in particular.

https://helpdesk.massdrop.com/hc/en-us/categories/201638658-New-Members

I just bought some headphones from them that are a Massdrop x Fostex collaboration and they're amazing.

Jagwired

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015

Desktop monitors are the only good use of curved screens. I usually sit in the center of my monitor and I'm usually the only one looking at the screen.

Curved TV's are dumb because people don't always sit in the middle of the screen. Watching TV is also often a group activity so some people have to watch from an angle. Curved TV's look bad when viewed from a high angle.

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

I dont like how the image looks curved. curved screens are stupid IMO. being desktop or TV .

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

ofc is my opinion lol I said IMO ...

in the old days of CRT people were racing to make the perfect flat CRT screen and proud about it to make the image look real and not curved. (in the CRT it was curved the opposite side )

it is Funny how today after we managed perfect flat screens using LCD , people want to destroy the image quality again by curving it inside lol...

how things changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.