Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
So my friend recently just built his dream pc with the following:
Core i7 840
MSI p55-GD80
8GB DDR3 1333 Memory
2x XFX HD 5870
windows 7 pro x64
and he's had nothing but problems so far. for one, the screen is unable to display full resolution – even when 1920x1080 is checked in options there's letterboxing on all four sides.
additionally, games refuse to work, or work partially. bioshock, for instance, has no sound in-game – but not in menus.
CoD: MW works up to a certain level. basically, nothing really works as it should. i for one have no idea what the problem is, and sincerely hope the assorted experts here will be kind enough to help.
thanks in advance!

i7 840 ? Isn't the 840 a laptop cpu?

Anyways, as bystander said, try each video card separately. Go into ATI CCC controller to adjust resolutions.

For sound, are you using HDMI or DVI?

Also check to see if you have the latest drivers for both the video card and motherboard.

What monitor? Sounds like it's being displayed on a TV and you have underscan.

additionally, games refuse to work, or work partially. bioshock, for instance, has no sound in-game – but not in menus.

That's a Bioshock issue, download the patch, happened since launch, and even on the demo.

CoD: MW works up to a certain level. basically, nothing really works as it should.

Need more information, sofar it's externals, not internals that are the issues.

Sounds like he should make sure to install all service packs, updates, drivers, and patches before starting to find what's a problem and not just a 'quick-fix'.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
For some reason i want to say reset your cmos and make sure you enter the bios and load optimised defalts and save and exit. The important part being "save and exit" and not just exiting. Had some problems that you are having and that seemed to have fixed them.