[SOLVED] Massive consistent drops in clock speed after accidently changing memory speed through MSI afterburner when i didn't mean to

Oct 5, 2020
I had just recently downloaded afterburner today when I accidently changed the memory speed and bumped it up a little. It was barely noticeable but I didn't want to risk it since I literally just bought the gaming pc a month ago. I tried putting it back but I couldn't because of how inaccurate the slider was. I tried looking for a reset button but I couldn't find anything. I decided to leave it and go to GTA.

I booted up the game and changed a few settings because I wanted to test a few things (nothing to do with what just happened) I loaded in story mode after practically putting all of my graphical settings on high and I started lagging all over the place and it took me a very long time to alt d4 my way out of it as expected. I decided to run afterburner again because I closed it before loading into gta. Turns out all the sliders are greyed out and all set to 0.

I didn't know how to fix it at all. I checked my task manager and it went from 3.6Ghz to 1.15GHz and it was staying around there. Is it normal in general without my issue occurring at all to have massive drops in clock speed or is my issue the reason why this has happened. Any ideas why? All feedback is helpful, and much appreciated.

Solution
The graphics memory is called video memory or vram. That is separate to the ram in your motherboard.
The 3200G is a CPU with a built in GPU - with no inbuilt memory. Instead it uses system memory or ram - the stuff on your motherboard.
So to speed your graphics up you can overclcok the CPU and overclock the system ram.
Oct 5, 2020
I unistalled and reinstalled it and nothing happened the sliders were still greyed out. I even factory reset my whole pc knowing that it wouldn't take long only about 15-20 minutes max. Downloaded everything again. Sliders are back and able to be used except the top 2 and the fan slider. And the massive drop in clock speed still remains

Oct 5, 2020
Did you also reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers, or just windows and gpu drivers.

Windows i cannot reinstall because for some reason it is saying I don't have a gpu when it's an amd vega 8 graphics card when it has always been there before I ever downloaded afterburner. I will look into reinstalling motherboard chipset drivers, thank you.

Oct 5, 2020
What PC do you have exactly ?
List all parts, please

Screen Resolution1920 x 1080
Resolution1080p Full HD
Processor BrandAMD
Processor TypeR Series
Processor Speed3.6 GHz
Processor Count4
RAM Size16 GB
Memory TechnologyDDR4
Computer Memory TypeDIMM
Hard Drive Size1000 GB
Hard Disk DescriptionHDD 7200 rpm
Hard Drive InterfaceSerial ATA-600
Hard Disk Rotational Speed7200
Graphics CoprocessorRADEON
Graphics Card DescriptionAMD Radeon Vega 8
Graphics RAM TypeShared
Graphics Card Ram Size2
Graphics Card InterfaceIntegrated
Connectivity TypeWi-Fi
Wireless Type802.11bgn
Number of Ethernet Ports1
Wattage400 watts
Power SourceDC
Hardware PlatformPC
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home

Oct 5, 2020
See https://www.windowscentral.com/amd-ryzen-5-3400g-review
A R3 3400G runs a vega 11 (cores) inbuilt GPU.
Your 8 core vega GPU is part of the CPU.

Ok I see, thank you, but is it still normal for it to be having massive drops? I always average 3.60-3.75Ghz with the stock clock speed, no overclocking has been done apart from that mistake I made but it was only the memory speed that I accidentally changed.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
The graphics memory is called video memory or vram. That is separate to the ram in your motherboard.
The 3200G is a CPU with a built in GPU - with no inbuilt memory. Instead it uses system memory or ram - the stuff on your motherboard.
So to speed your graphics up you can overclcok the CPU and overclock the system ram.

Reactions: KING SUPREME
Solution
Oct 5, 2020

OK ill try that thanks alot