Question Massive CPU Utilization spikes for normal tasks, High CPU idle temps and sudden bugcheck reboots ?

M_M

Jul 24, 2022
Hi,
I built my pc around two years ago and I can never seem to figure out what is wrong with it.
My Specs are as follows:

-Ryzen 5 3600
-Corsair H60 2018 cooler
-MSI B450 gaming pro carbon max wifi motherboard
-16gb ddr4 gskill aegis ram
-Seagate Barracuda 2tb, kingston a400 240gb ssd, wd blue sn550 m.2 500gb drives
-Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT
-bequiet system power 9 600w psu
- (side note) internal elgato 4k60 pro capture card

Problem one from the very first day was high CPU temperatures. I originally started off with the included stock air cooler however after realising that the temps on COD would rise to around 95 degrees, I then decided to opt for the liquid cooler. Even after receiving the new cooler and today, i'm still not too happy with the temps on idle specifically because both my gpu and cpu sit at idle at around 50 degrees or so. I do suspect the psu from what I have read however I don't proclaim to know a lot apart from the building of the system. I've tried lots of different power options in windows but it doesn't make a difference.

The second problem i am having, which is completely weird, is massive cpu utilization spikes doing normal tasks. For some reason when opening any web browser for example the most in opera gx, it will spike to around 50% utilization however when playing a low intensive game like fall guys i don't see any difference whatsoever, even sometimes it is actually lower. The most bizarre thing is even something like the news and interests taskbar can cause up to 15% in spike for absolutely no reason.

Finally, very recently i have had two blue screens, where i go into the info on them and they are called bugcheck restarts. They don't happen very often but I still wonder if it could link to any of the other problems above. I have read that it could be a memory problem however I have done a full diagnostic and the ram is completely fine, additionally I have never had problems with ram before so I highly doubt it it the memory

If anyone has any suggestions to fixes for any of these problems or how they could be linked together, it would be greatly appreciated!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is AIO exhaust? https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...2018)-120mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060036-WW
I have a 240mm H100i as intake and temps aren't that high. Having it as exhaust means its sucking all the heat from everything else in PC into it before cooling CPU.
What case are you using?

The second problem i am having, which is completely weird, is massive cpu utilization spikes doing normal tasks. For some reason when opening any web browser for example the most in opera gx, it will spike to around 50% utilization however when playing a low intensive game like fall guys i don't see any difference whatsoever, even sometimes it is actually lower. The most bizarre thing is even something like the news and interests taskbar can cause up to 15% in spike for absolutely no reason.

is that all the cores or just one? If I am idling on my 3600xt and the CPU needs to run a process, the CPU will wake a core up, boost it to speed it needs to be, and then once completed, it will rush that core back to idle again. So its possible the spikes you are seeing are normal. Its less noticeable or less likely if you running a game, as cores likely awake already

Bugchecks:
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

M_M

Jul 24, 2022
Is AIO exhaust? https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H60-(2018)-120mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060036-WW
I have a 240mm H100i as intake and temps aren't that high. Having it as exhaust means its sucking all the heat from everything else in PC into it before cooling CPU.
What case are you using?

is that all the cores or just one? If I am idling on my 3600xt and the CPU needs to run a process, the CPU will wake a core up, boost it to speed it needs to be, and then once completed, it will rush that core back to idle again. So its possible the spikes you are seeing are normal. Its less noticeable or less likely if you running a game, as cores likely awake already

Bugchecks:
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

The AIO is exhaust however numerous sources say that this can only make a difference in a few degrees but can be bad for the ambient temps of the system.
My case is the Thermaltake V250 TG ARGB case and I have 3 intake fans as well as 2 exhaust including the aio radiator fan.

For the utilisation i can post advanced details on hw monitor for just opening opera gx a few times and closing it with other things that might be useful:

For the minidump, i have configured it now to set for minidump however i'd have to wait until the pc crashed again to give you info on the minidump file. The only info i could give you in the meanwhile is the info i have gathered from event viewer:

It does say that there was a dump created in C:\windows\ MEMORY.DMP however earlier on in the event viewer it says that the dump file creation failed due to an error.

I hope this can help :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
So i wonder how much air gets in past the plastic on front of that case
Speaking of which, the see-through central section of the front panel does a good job of disguising itself as glass, but is in fact plastic and we do wonder how much air will pass through the narrow gaps either side.
considering there is now an AIR version of case with a mesh front.

its a little on the warm side - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermaltake-v250-tg-argb-mid-tower/6.html

In your case, AIO is probably in its best spot, If anything I would add another exhaust as since you on water on CPU, it doesn't hurt as much. might reduce temps a little

so it idles at 50c? mine idles about 10c lower than that, though ambient temps count a lot. It can depend on what season it is, mine varies about 8c or so. 36c in winter, 44c ish in summer.

i tend to use HWINFO for tracking sensors, so that area is slightly different on mine.
KySF2tA.jpg

I wonder if HWMonitor knows about Core Effective Clocks yet

Core 4 is the most active of my cores.

bugchecks: the error on creation is not helpful. Have you changed your page file settings at all?
Seagate Barracuda 2tb, kingston a400 240gb ssd, wd blue sn550 m.2 500gb drives
which drive is C?

M_M

Jul 24, 2022
So i wonder how much air gets in past the plastic on front of that case

considering there is now an AIR version of case with a mesh front.

its a little on the warm side - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermaltake-v250-tg-argb-mid-tower/6.html

In your case, AIO is probably in its best spot, If anything I would add another exhaust as since you on water on CPU, it doesn't hurt as much. might reduce temps a little

so it idles at 50c? mine idles about 10c lower than that, though ambient temps count a lot. It can depend on what season it is, mine varies about 8c or so. 36c in winter, 44c ish in summer.

i tend to use HWINFO for tracking sensors, so that area is slightly different on mine.
KySF2tA.jpg

I wonder if HWMonitor knows about Core Effective Clocks yet

Core 4 is the most active of my cores.

bugchecks: the error on creation is not helpful. Have you changed your page file settings at all?

which drive is C?

So you believe that the case would be the problem considering it could be hardware related?
Drive C is the Kingston drive for windows since I only got the m.2 recently
And are you asking me to give you some info on HWINFO instead, would this help at all? Please ask me if you do
And as for page file settings I don't know what you mean..