Question Massive drop in CPU performance after reseating.

Apr 22, 2017
Hello everyone,

Recently I decided to clean my PC after a few years of usage. I have built this PC in 2017 and it has helped me through highschool.

These are my specs:
MSI 1060 3GB
Intel i5 7500
8GB Ram
MSI H110m Pro-Vd Plus

After cleaning, which I am very familiar of, I re-applied thermal paste and reseated my CPU then my rams, reset CMOS, and then my GPU, reconnected all my cables.

I decided to play a game of Valorant which I usually get around 210 to 250 FPS. However, for some reason I was getting about 100 FPS and decided to test out some stuff.
All settings remain the same, so for some reason I thought it was my GPU so I decided to test it with my friend's new GTX 1660 SUPER but it didn't make a change.

So, I thought maybe resetting CMOS changed some CPU settings. So I installed Intel XTU to benchmark and it turns out I'm only getting around 550 (score) which is almost half of what I used to get (1100 to 1200).

I tried reseating my CPU and my thermal intake but nothing. I thought it was my Bios or Power saver but they were all high performance and Bios remained the same as 'default'.

Normally I usually fix problems by myself but after a few days of struggling I really need some help from the community. I appreciate all constructive helps and suggestions.

Thank you in advance,

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2017
Make sure you re enable xmp after clearing CMOS.

Also, what are cpu temps and clockspeed in games?

For XMP, I'm not quite sure since I just decided to run the BIOS on default settings. But I'll try to look for it. I currently have MSI H110 Pro-vd Plus (Mobo)

Maximum temperature when I benchmark/play-games are usually between 45 to 40 degrees and it was always like that previously.