Question Massive FPS drop During Saving and Loading (in games)

newyears1978

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Wasn't sure if this was a hardware issue or if it was, which piece so putting in Win10.

In any game when I quicksave, or load, or save a game my FPS tanks to 1, the mouse becomes super choppy. It did not used to be this way and it is driving me insane.

Specs:
Win10 64bit
Strix 570E-Gaming Mobo
32gb Trident 3200mhz
MSI RTX 2080 Super
Ryzen 3900X

Games are on a Samsung 840 EVO
Windows is on a Sandisk SSD

I've tried debloating windows, testing single monitors, running passmark etc etc. When this happens CPU and GPU usage drops to like 0-20% and FPS dips to 1. The load or save happens real fast as expected on an SSD and in game my performance is normal. This only happens when saving or loading a save game.

No clue where to start, never had this issue before and unsure where it started.

newyears1978

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
How much (in percentages and in GB out of GB) is currently the occupation of these? How big they are in gigabytes? Do you run programs, that'd also deal with space (utorrent, downloads, Pc Cleaners, etc) while gaming?

This is on a fresh Windows install - I don't run much of any other applications at all.

The drives are 250gb for my OS and 1TB for the games..they're only at like 20% and 10% capacity.
I don't do torrents, or downloads, no PC Cleaners.

It's so bizarre. I think it is Win10 related but I am not sure. I never had this issue on my previous build (4790k RTX 2080) but unfortunately I don't know when the issue started. Only other thing I know to try is maybe installing Steam and the games to a diff drive and see if there is something wrong with the drive (even though all other performance and file transfers and all work just fine..it's only in games loading and saving.

Just remembered I did buy a NVMe drive awhile back but it's a storage drive only so not in use for gaming.

Forgot about that because it's my recording drive but I have not done any gameplay recording recently because of this loading issue.

Last edited:

newyears1978

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Just remembered I did buy a NVMe drive awhile back but it's a storage drive only so not in use for gaming.

Yeah did that already everything checked out :( (100% across the board, no errors)

Actually my OS drive shows 80% health.

Last edited:

newyears1978

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Yeah I was thinking that, or installing my OS/Games on the NVMe for testing.

A lot of work to reinstall windows, but it might be worth it to see if that solves the error / eliminate issues with my 2 SSD.

My OS SSD (Samsung Evo) is like 8 years old..maybe it's weak)

Maybe I will grab a new 860 EVO and replace the OS drive and see what happens.

Last edited:

newyears1978

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Well I thought I had stumbled onto something because a couple games are not having the issue so I thought maybe it's ONLY the games with save files on the old SSD. But then I found a couple games doing it with saves on my new drive..so not sure if it's that after all..

Then again I guess since Windows is on the old drive something still could be bogging down during loading?

I mean the drive tests fine though so that's weird..other than being 8 years old... seems like if the drive was the issue it would cause problems all the time not just in saving and loading save files.

Ugh so frustrating.

I notice while gaming the read speed on the OS drive is really high but the write speed is bad but I dunno if it's actually writing anything or whatnot during gameplay. This is a screenshot I took whlie loading a save file:

https://prnt.sc/v60r3j

Don't think that means anything as all drives really show like that during testing.

Last edited:

newyears1978

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
My temps and usage seem fine all the time - it's so bizarre. Maybe it's some weird software issue..heck maybe it's common and most people just don't notice it because they are not paying attention during load screens or being anal like myself.

It's literally only for 2-5 seconds during loading...but it is annoying when quicksaving in games because it causes the game to lock up for a second.

Maybe. I don't know. Last time I had something problematic with loading and saving things (not games, though) I disabled 2-3 processes from task manager, which did the job for me and also resulted in lower cpu usage & lower temperatures.