Intel Core i7-8700K Processor
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X
HyperX Predator DDR4 3200MHz 16GB
Corsair RM1000i, 1000W PSU
Corsair Hydro Series H115i CPU Cooler
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, S-1151
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' HDD

So the main issue is my FPS. If i take overwatch as an example, i run OW at Highest/Medium settings, so not pushing the fps to max, but a good amount.

I start out a game with 299 FPS, 5 min in or randomly ingame, my fps goes down to 150/140, stays there, goes up to 170, stays there, goes up to 200 for a bit, and then down to 150/160 and stays there until it goes back up til 200 again. The only other thing i have running is Chrome with 2 tabs open but this should not affect my FPS that much.

I have checked my temperatures, they never exceed 70 Celcious, ive cleaned out my PC from dust with pressured air, i have updated everything and Xbox DVR and all that stuff is off. Also checked nvidia controll panel settings and power mode and such to what it should be set to.

Why does my FPS drop with 100 FPS after gaming for a while?
And why does it fluctuate so much?

And yes, i am running on a 144hz Monitor.

Overwatch settings: View: https://imgur.com/a/SxKKqlg

Solution
Turn you frame rate cap down, ideally you'd want it 144 to match the monitor but sometimes that causes more problems, so either go 1 above or below (143/145) any frames above 144 are being wasted and putting strain on your GPU so it's likely its pushing to 300 getting hot and throttling a tiny amount and dropping fps and constantly looping like that. Having Chrome open on a couple of tabs can easily suck up resources there are many unscrupulous people and sites that can exploit your machine, bitcoin miners being a popular one.

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
Turn you frame rate cap down, ideally you'd want it 144 to match the monitor but sometimes that causes more problems, so either go 1 above or below (143/145) any frames above 144 are being wasted and putting strain on your GPU so it's likely its pushing to 300 getting hot and throttling a tiny amount and dropping fps and constantly looping like that. Having Chrome open on a couple of tabs can easily suck up resources there are many unscrupulous people and sites that can exploit your machine, bitcoin miners being a popular one.

Solution