Question Massive FPS drops on Alienware 13 R3 ?

Cubixty

Commendable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello there ,

So Ive owned this Alienware R3 13 for about a year now with constant use. When I first got it the temps would always be around 90-99 while playing games without any FPS drops . I do realize that this is a bit on the hot side but I asked on the forum a while ago and people said it was normal for a laptop. Anyway so even when it was at those temps it never used to have any FPS drops , games were smooth , but recently (around 3 weeks now) its been having really bad FPS drops on almost every game I play (Fortnite , Valorant , CSGO) I used to play fortnite on a solid 120FPS and now it dips to 2-5FPS in irregular intervals its just random .

I was wondering if there was maybe a update that I installed that is conflicting with the system in order for these FPS drops to happen and maybe if a format of the laptop would be any help ?

Any help would be much appreciated . Thank you

uWebb429

Notable
May 22, 2020
@Cubixty - Run ThrottleStop and turn on the Log File option.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Try to play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop. Copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here. Also post some pictures of the various ThrottleStop windows including the main window, and the FIVR and TPL windows.

It is not unusual for Dell laptops to develop some strange throttling problems over time. Quite common actually. The log file will help explain what the problem is and what needs to be adjusted.

Last edited:

Cubixty

Commendable
Jun 19, 2019
@Cubixty - Run ThrottleStop and turn on the Log File option.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Try to play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop. Copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here. Also post some pictures of the various ThrottleStop windows including the main window, and the FIVR and TPL windows.

It is not unusual for Dell laptops to develop some strange throttling problems over time. Quite common actually. The log file will help explain what the problem is and what needs to be adjusted.
Pastebin link - https://pastebin.com/KHce2j6M . I ran this for about 15-20 mins.

Imgaes TPL/FIVR - View: https://imgur.com/a/48buALQ

Thanks for helping

uWebb429

Notable
May 22, 2020
If you look at the far right column of the log file you will see lots of AVGTEMP warnings. What do you think that means? The Average Temperature of your CPU is too hot. This is triggering constant throttling and poor performance.

Look at the temperature column in the log file. The CPU is constantly 97°C, 98°C, 99°C and even 100°C. Dell has set the thermal throttling temperature to 97°C. Not a chance that a CPU is going to perform properly or smoothly when it is running this hot and constantly thermal throttling. You need to redo the thermal paste with something decent like Noctua NT-H2.

Your CPU has a 45W TDP rating. A properly engineered heatsink and fan are supposed to be able to dissipate this much heat so the CPU does not overheat. Your cooling is struggling when power consumption is only 28W.

Dell disabled CPU voltage control so that is not an option to cool things down. Consider installing a previous BIOS version to get this feature back. Either that or you can unlock this feature but that gets complicated.

https://brendangreenley.com/undervolting-2020-dell-laptops-like-the-vostro-7500-and-more-tips-to-improve-thermals-battery-life-and-speed/#cpu-undervolt

Cubixty

Commendable
Jun 19, 2019
If you look at the far right column of the log file you will see lots of AVGTEMP warnings. What do you think that means? The Average Temperature of your CPU is too hot. This is triggering constant throttling and poor performance.

Look at the temperature column in the log file. The CPU is constantly 97°C, 98°C, 99°C and even 100°C. Dell has set the thermal throttling temperature to 97°C. Not a chance that a CPU is going to perform properly or smoothly when it is running this hot and constantly thermal throttling. You need to redo the thermal paste with something decent like Noctua NT-H2.

Your CPU has a 45W TDP rating. A properly engineered heatsink and fan are supposed to be able to dissipate this much heat so the CPU does not overheat. Your cooling is struggling when power consumption is only 28W.

Dell disabled CPU voltage control so that is not an option to cool things down. Consider installing a previous BIOS version to get this feature back. Either that or you can unlock this feature but that gets complicated.

https://brendangreenley.com/undervolting-2020-dell-laptops-like-the-vostro-7500-and-more-tips-to-improve-thermals-battery-life-and-speed/#cpu-undervolt
How would I go around installing a previous BIOS version? And how would I know which BIOS version to install? And what do you mean power consumption is only 28W , am I not giving enough power to the laptop? Ive got the original charger for it

uWebb429

Notable
May 22, 2020
CPU power consumption has nothing to do with your power charger.

As a CPU runs faster and works harder, it will consume more power. Your CPU is already overheating and slowing down when it is only running at half of its rated power. When you have poor cooling, the CPU cannot run at its full rated speed.

A computer that includes a 45W CPU should be able to run at the full 45W indefinitely without ever overheating. If it cannot, that is bad design.

Cubixty

Commendable
Jun 19, 2019
CPU power consumption has nothing to do with your power charger.

As a CPU runs faster and works harder, it will consume more power. Your CPU is already overheating and slowing down when it is only running at half of its rated power. When you have poor cooling, the CPU cannot run at its full rated speed.

A computer that includes a 45W CPU should be able to run at the full 45W indefinitely without ever overheating. If it cannot, that is bad design.
So do you think thermal paste would do the trick?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS