[SOLVED] Massive FPS drops, started around a week ago

Planet_Noob

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Hey guys, I've recently been experiencing frame drops while gaming. I've tested it in several games, and it's been happening in all of them and started around a week ago (it's worked fine prior). For example in WarThunder, I'd get the FPS I'd normally get (~80), and then it would gradually start to drop to ~40. It'll then spike down to ~20 fps for around half a minute, and then go back to my normal FPS. It then repeats the cycle. My laptop specs is pretty much this and are as follows:
-CPU: Intel i7-7700 HQ
-GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Max-Q 8 gb
-RAM: x2 16 gb DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

Some things I've tried:
-Ensured computer was not throttling - it has been repasted and undervolted before and I've only started experiencing this recently
-Updated to latest NVIDIA drivers
-Rerolled and clean installed to previous NVIDIA drivers
-Set Window's power option to "High Performance"
-Set NVIDIA control panel's power management mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance"
-Set preferred graphics processor to "High-performance NVIDIA processor"
-Scanned computer for viruses/malware

I've also monitored these performance drops on MSI Afterburner and can be found here. The ~20 fps drops happens at the vertical yellow lines.

Solution
I have the exact same problme and tired these things as well. But still haven't found a resolution. One thing that helped me is using Afterburner I limited my GPU to not go above 1200MHZ, My rtx 2070 in Laptop goes to around 1550 MHZ AVG. So maybe you can try this. Just make a straight line in the voltage- frequency curve editor in after burner. to 1200MHZ. Here's how you can manipulate the voltage and frequency curve.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6kj5LoPhZQ
Aug 23, 2020
I have the exact same problme and tired these things as well. But still haven't found a resolution. One thing that helped me is using Afterburner I limited my GPU to not go above 1200MHZ, My rtx 2070 in Laptop goes to around 1550 MHZ AVG. So maybe you can try this. Just make a straight line in the voltage- frequency curve editor in after burner. to 1200MHZ. Here's how you can manipulate the voltage and frequency curve.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6kj5LoPhZQ

Solution