[SOLVED] Massive FPS drops when playing any game

Apr 19, 2020
Hello,
While im playing my games I encounter massive FPS drops out of nowhere. I would have 60fps and up and then suddenly they would drop as low as 9-15fps for around 2-3 seconds and it would lag massively. It has really gotten annoying and I cant seem to figure out why it keeps doing that.
I recently upgrade to a new case and cooler thinking it would help but no luck
Any ideas?
My specs are
i9-9900k W/ NH D15
RTX 2070 Super
Asus H370M- Plus
16GB G.Skill F4-3200C16
and Four hard drives

Solution
The 9900 series will work on the better 370 chipsets, like the Asus ROG etc. But not really on a entry level H370, they simply do not have the necessary power delivery, nor mosfets (VRM's) capable of handling that kind of amperage. I = P/V, so under gaming sessions where you are seeing a cpu with @ 200w, divided by the @ 1.3v of the cpu = @ 154A across its 6 phases, or about 26A per mosfet. On a motherboard that's designed for half that with a normal 100w cpu.

You are cooking the VRM's, which end up giving the cpu the middle finger, and the cpu shows its displeasure by dumping the fps in the toilet.

This is not a new thing, it's plagued AMD FX for years, exact same thing with their 95w motherboards and 125w 8 series cpus. Just because...
Apr 19, 2020
This is why:
9900K + H370 motherboard.

You need a new motherboard, period. The cheapest Z390 that can handle a 9900K: Asus TUF Z390-PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

At some point, you'll have to replace the cooler too. None of the current air coolers can really handle this thing fully loaded.
Oh, damn for real? I just recently got the cooler too because I heard it was really good! that's a big bummer. Any good suggestions for a new motherboard and cooler? I was thinking of getting a liquid cooler of course but something that isn't too expensive lol

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 9900 series will work on the better 370 chipsets, like the Asus ROG etc. But not really on a entry level H370, they simply do not have the necessary power delivery, nor mosfets (VRM's) capable of handling that kind of amperage. I = P/V, so under gaming sessions where you are seeing a cpu with @ 200w, divided by the @ 1.3v of the cpu = @ 154A across its 6 phases, or about 26A per mosfet. On a motherboard that's designed for half that with a normal 100w cpu.

You are cooking the VRM's, which end up giving the cpu the middle finger, and the cpu shows its displeasure by dumping the fps in the toilet.

This is not a new thing, it's plagued AMD FX for years, exact same thing with their 95w motherboards and 125w 8 series cpus. Just because they physically fit in the socket and had a bios that recognized the cpu didn't mean it would work at any load heavier than websurfing.

Solution
Apr 19, 2020

Any suggestions for a good motherboard?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gigabyte Auros Z390 elite or better, Asus ROG anything, asrock taichi Z390 etc.

You have the biggest and baddest race engine Intel has ever put out. It needs the appropriate car to go in. Your Nissan daily driver, or Honda, or any other like it will get shredded. Unfortunately that means looking at the Ferrari's of motherboards.

The NH-D15 will work, but I'd suggest once ypu do get the Z390 that you start undervolting the cpu, drop the vcore as low as it'll go and remain stable.

Reactions: Phaaze88