Massive FPS drops while recording on Fraps

adamary

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
So.. I've decided to record Half Life 2 walkthrough, it was going good at the beginning until frames started to massively drop. I used to record BF4 walkthrough, and there was no such FPS drops(actually I had split second ones that I dont really count as massive ones but still they're pretty annoying). I've bought the parts of this build for almost 5 months ago, and now I feel bad that I might have bought a broken part or low quality one. Here's full list of the parts:
CPU - AMD FX 8350 4.00 Ghz
GPU - 2GB MSI GTX 760
RAM - Kingston HyperX 8 GB 1600 Mhz
HDD - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda
PSU - Zalman 500W

Please help me fix this problem, I dont want to regret this build that isn't even 1 year old, thank you.

Solution
You need to record the video files on a different drive than your game install is on. I had this same issue, I just used an old laptop drive for my video files and my performance now shows negligible difference between recording and not recording. So any old hard drive works, you just have to have two.

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
You need to record the video files on a different drive than your game install is on. I had this same issue, I just used an old laptop drive for my video files and my performance now shows negligible difference between recording and not recording. So any old hard drive works, you just have to have two.

Solution

adamary

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

Thanks, it worked! Luckily I've recently bought an external hard drive for photos, music etc. So the conclusion is that recording on a same HDD with the game itself will cause FPS drops, no matter how powerful PC wouldn't be. I will remember that :)

LizardProtection

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
It also depends on how fast the actual hard drive is. Let me give you an example, I have 5200 RPM hard drive where I have couple of my games installed, when I was trying to record videos on the same hard drive it literally cut my FPS in half.
When I am recording that same game from my 7200 RPM hard drive TO the same 7200 RPM hard drive (I don't remember its name) I get 0 FPS drop; feels like I'm not even recording. The game is DayZ (Mod) btw.

Try Disk Defragmentation, that may help your FPS as well.

Have a good day!

VividElites

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

I have a seprate hard drive set to record with fraps and 3 things happen.
1. it doesnt record at all and frpas crashes
2. I get like 1-8 fps
3. Frpas crashes the game Im recording

but those only happens on my seprate drive please help