Massive fps drops

Jan 7, 2019
Hello
I have problems with huge fps drops. When I'm playing for example GTA V, these drops occur especially when I'm driving fast. They also occur when I'm playing Fortnite or Black Ops III. Recently I have switched from 720p to 1080p monitor and I can't remember if I had these too with 720p.

My specs are:
Gigabyte GA-990fxa-ud3
HIS Radeon HD 7870 Ice q Turbo
AMD FX-8350
500 Gb hdd
650 W power supply
8gb ram 1866 mhz
1080p monitor

My fps while playing GTA V is average 40 fps and then I have drops to 10 fps. (lowest settings)
My fps while playing Fortnite is average 120 fps and then I have drops to 20 fps. (lowest settings)

When cpu fan is at 100%, the cpu will get 79 degrees of Celsius.
When gpu fan is at 100%, the gpu will get 75-80 degrees
None is overclocked. Are these temperatures normal? What do I have to do to prevent these fps drops?
Thanks in advance.

Solution

Ummm I’m not sure but I think your gpu is using your RAM as extending your vram, so the more you playing game the more RAM you’ll need, which you don’t have!
My Conclusion : one of these may resolving your problem
1. Increasing your physical RAM
2. Changing your HDD SATA cable
3. Checking if your HDD physically damaged or not.
Jan 6, 2019
I’m not 100% sure but try to use msi afterburner to monitor your cpu gpu and ram during game playing, my guess is that you are running out of ram space, but once again monitor your hardware during playing fortnite(because it’s not heavy game like gta v)

Jan 7, 2019

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the PSU, I can only read 'LG Power' on it. Everything is bought in around 2013. It's a 4.0 rev. I don't know how to check whether I'm on the latest bios. In the bios I can only see the version(F2) and date (15-07-2013). I have reinstalled my gpu drivers so many times. I am now on 18.12.2.

Jan 7, 2019

During GTA V, my gpu usage is around 98 % and cpu around 40%. RAM doesn't go above 3,8gb in all games. MSI Afterbruner doesn''t work in Fortnite. AMD overlay too. I don't know why.

Jan 7, 2019
Perhaps good to know, a month ago I couldn't boot my pc because it said system32 was deleted. So I put my hdd in my father's pc to see if it was broke but is was not. So I put it back in my pc and it was normal again like nothing was happened.

Jan 6, 2019
I guess you just answered your question , and your problem is all about your HDD, please check and let us know if your Windows OS is 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64)?

Jan 7, 2019

It's a Windows 7 64-bit. So should I buy a new ssd? My pc says by the way there's 8gb of RAM installed but 3,96gb available. Why is that?

Jan 6, 2019

Ummm I’m not sure but I think your gpu is using your RAM as extending your vram, so the more you playing game the more RAM you’ll need, which you don’t have!
My Conclusion : one of these may resolving your problem
1. Increasing your physical RAM
2. Changing your HDD SATA cable
3. Checking if your HDD physically damaged or not.

Solution
Jan 7, 2019

I checked if my HDD has been damaged by using cristaldiskinfo and it gives a warning by C5 Current Pending Sectors. Is this the problem? Do I have to increase my physical RAM by just buying more RAM or are there settings in Windows?

Jan 6, 2019

well it's sorta little more complicated than that, I mean you should change your HDD, you should change your HDD SATA cable, and you should increase your physical RAM and maybe you should buy new PSU as well! so let's do the free things you can do, check here http://
and read this as well http://

Jan 7, 2019

Ok, so I did a hard disk check and that chkdsk thing but that warning is still there. I also changed my SATA cable but it had no effect. I really don't want to buy more ddr3 RAM (soon I want to upgrade everything) so is it going to be a new storage component?

Jan 7, 2019

Hello, so I was think about your first solution and about the fact that only 3,96 gb was available. So I tried changing the ram sticks in the ram slots and it did eventually work. So the problem was that the ram sticks were not in the right ram slots. Thank you so much for your help and effort. I've learnt so much. I'll come back if I have another problem ;). (Don't pay attention at my bad English, it's not my native language).

Jan 6, 2019

You're welcome, and I'm so glad that your problem is resolved.