Question Massive FPS drops

Mar 23, 2020
Hello!

I have recently started to experience massive FPS drops while gaming on my gaming laptop. My specs are:

Dell G5 5587
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design 6GB

I also plug it to the monitor: AOC G2590FX

Drops affect all my games, regardless of how old or new the game is, or what are my graphic settings. For example I can run a game on ultra high settings and have it run smoothly, when I check in task manager everything looks perfectly fine, but as I keep playing I start to experience those drops. which would drop my FPS from lets say 144 to 15, and after a few seconds go back up. It makes all multiplayer games unplayable for me.
I'm also using a cooling pad while gaming, however my laptop still gets pretty hot. I've tried doing some of the tricks you can find on the internet, like changing some windows settings and other stuff as well, but nothing seems to work for me. Someone please help me!!!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Suffering temperature issues? Well, things change over time, after which these devices do need us to get our hands inside...
It could be that the thermal paste for the cpu and gpu has dried up and needs replacing? Have you confirmed thermal throttling yet?

Mar 23, 2020
Suffering temperature issues? Well, things change over time, after which these devices do need us to get our hands inside...
It could be that the thermal paste for the cpu and gpu has dried up and needs replacing? Have you confirmed thermal throttling yet?
Hey, thanks for your reply. This could be where the issue is, since sometimes my laptop gets really hot. How do I know if I need to replace that paste? How do I confirm thermal throttling?

Mar 23, 2020
Great, I will try out both! I've discovered one other thing, which is really confusing to me. The problem of FPS drops seems to disappear if I don't plug my laptop to the external monitor. Do you have any idea why could that be?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Great, I will try out both! I've discovered one other thing, which is really confusing to me. The problem of FPS drops seems to disappear if I don't plug my laptop to the external monitor. Do you have any idea why could that be?
Resolution of the laptop's monitor VS the external one?

As you go up in resolution = more work for the gpu, less for the cpu
Vice versa, it's the opposite.

Mar 23, 2020
I run the CPU stress test and Memory stress tests. During both thermal throttling and power limit throttling were yellow and saying yes, but both the tests were passed. So I'm not sure if it's good or bad.

I checked, my monitor resolution is the same as laptop, they are both at 1920 x 1080p.

Mar 23, 2020
I run the CPU stress test and Memory stress tests. During both thermal throttling and power limit throttling were yellow and saying yes, but both the tests were passed. So I'm not sure if it's good or bad.

I checked, my monitor resolution is the same as laptop, they are both at 1920 x 1080p.
Also, my CPU temperature is getting up to 100C, so it's definitely too hot.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
By 'passed', it simply didn't crash. Since the processor both thermal and power throttled, I'd say it failed.
Hold on...
It's a laptop, so the power limit threshold may not be under your control; it was already set by Dell... but on the other hand, the thermal throttling is the more serious issue.

How comfortable are you with opening up your laptop to dust out the cpu and gpu heatsink fans and replacing the thermal paste? Or you could have a PC shop do it - if one is even available...

As for the external monitor issue, that's a driver problem. With both the laptop's monitor + external monitor, that would be considered a multi-monitor setup, and that increases power draw.
Updating the driver MAY fix it... if they even bothered to address it.

Mar 23, 2020
I've already cleaned up my laptop from dust, I'll work on getting the thermal paste replaced as well.

I've updated all the drivers for my monitor, let's see if this helps. I have one more question for you. My laptop refresh rate is 60Hz and my monitor is 144Hz. Can I use my monitor with its refresh rate set to be 144Hz, or does it need to match laptops refresh rate, even when when I'm using single monitor setting, not the extend option?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My laptop refresh rate is 60Hz and my monitor is 144Hz
And that, right there is another potential problem. On top of the thermal throttling, the 2 screens have different refresh rates. This can cause stuttering, but you can't isolate it right now, due to the throttling at the moment.
Here's an old thread about it: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5o32vs/psa_for_people_with_144hz_60hz_dual_monitor_with/

Although Nvidia's in the title, I believe it happens to either brand.
There's a few workarounds, but only one is consistent: having screens of the same native refresh.

Mar 23, 2020
Okay thanks for another great advice! Do you think it applies even if I'm using my monitor as a single screen, without extending and making it multiple screen setup?

Mar 23, 2020
Hey I've tried setting the same refresh rate on both monitors but I didn't do anything, problem still occurs.
Some new weird thing started happening too. My computer randomly crashes, the blue screen pops up and at the bottom it says it's a Video Scheduler Internal Error.
I'm getting my thermal paste replaced tomorrow, hopefully that helps some.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"The video scheduler internal error is caused due to errors associated with the graphics card and has a stop error code.
Other reasons for this error include corrupt system file, recent software/hardware changes, corrupt Windows registry, malware or virus infection, and outdated graphics drivers."

Do a virus scan. Adwcleaner is a pretty handy free tool: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
Run the System File Checker: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
Update your laptop's drivers: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/g-series-15-5587-laptop/drivers

Mar 23, 2020
Now I have done everything you told me to, and for now my FPS problem is gone, even when I'm using my external monitor! So thanks a lot for all the great advises.
However, I'm still experiencing Video Scheduler Internal Error. It only happens at the start up of the game, restarts PC, and than I can play without issues. I obviously followed all of the steps you have mentioned above. Any ideas why is it still happening?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately, I don't.
I think it's a driver issue, because it gives you the boot once, and then you can play it again afterwards.
If it were hardware, the boots would be more consistent, and you likely wouldn't be able to play at all.

I've tried doing some of the tricks you can find on the internet, like changing some windows settings and other stuff as well
I hope one of those 'fixes' didn't involve changing registry files? It's easy to screw your system up with those, if you don't know what they actually do, and nothing short of reinstalling Windows would fix it.

Does it still happen with the external monitor unplugged?

Mar 23, 2020
Well yes, that's what I think I did. I remember I definitely followed this tutorial:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMXlkn2qbc

But from what I remember most of the things this guy talks about were already set to the values he said to change them to. I hope that's not what is causing issues. Also, I've done it quite a long time ago, and the error has just started to pop up.
I haven't experienced it with my monitor unplugged.

Mar 23, 2020
Actually now that I think about it only happens at one particular moment, when I start playing League of Legends. It always happened at the same time, which is when my game starts to load and you need to wait a few moment for it to finish, I minimize the game window to for example open my browser, and than the error occurs.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It happens with the browser opened? Do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled in your browser's options? Disable it, and check again.

WTH, that 'tutorial' is garbage. The guy doesn't even explain what any of the changes being made DO! Just do this and that, done!
He could've been a redditor copying what another redditor did, or something...
Heck, even in the comments below, he was all too quick to respond to 'thank yous, it worked!', but for folks still having trouble, he may have responded once, after which they got crickets.

Mar 23, 2020
Yes, I had it on, and turned it off.

Maaan I was desperate for solutions, so I would trust anybody with any advice. Do you think I should change back any of these settings again?

I haven't experienced the error since my last post.

Mar 23, 2020
There is one other error I'm experiencing, when turning off or restarting my laptop.
Here's what it says: Banner: ScreenLM32.exe Application Error

Do you have any idea what could this be? I was trying to find some solution online, but now I don't really trust any shady tutorials and stuff like that :D

Jun 30, 2020
Actually now that I think about it only happens at one particular moment, when I start playing League of Legends. It always happened at the same time, which is when my game starts to load and you need to wait a few moment for it to finish, I minimize the game window to for example open my browser, and than the error occurs.

Hi!

Did you solve the problem? I'm having the same problem with League of Legends right now :(
Btw, I've the same specs as you and by now I updated the video driver and BIOS. Also, I ran every check on my laptop and every seems to be OK.

I'd appreciate any advice!!!