massive fps stutter, windows reset somehow brought back the fixed issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

manhatti Zee

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Here is my previous thread asking for a potential fix - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3797600/shuts-playing-high-end-games-doom-dark-souls-works-perfectly-fine-surfing-playing-dota.html
TLDR : High performance games used to shut down after running for around 3 minutes with massive half second stutter pattern. People on the thread thought this was Power Supply issue.

Yesterday, I called in a technician. He came, checked the computer (chkdsk, saw voltages on UEFI)
and then did something. And the issue was somwhow fixed, atleast it seemed like it. Games were not crashing the PC, and were running with some little unnoticeable fps dip pattern. I pointed that out, but he said it was not a major issue (The game we tested was DOOM 2016, and it used to give me solid 80-90 fps at ultra settings before this stutter issue started.) But I was sure that it still didnt stop stuttering, now it was only minor stutter.

I asked him what he did, he said there was some services error, some service not working, and he said that it happens sometimes, but it wont happen again. I was not able to watch what he did for some other reasons. But whatever he did, it atleast stopped shutting down my PC.

Until I reset windows. Whatever he did, increased my CPU usage to 100%, even when I'm only browsing. My Idle CPU usage was 35 to 45% (normal idle usage is 15 to 20%). The computer was lagging a lot while switching Tabs, switching to different windows.

So I reset the computer, and the stuttering problem is back, only this time, the PC does not shut down, only the games stutter. Games like Dota 2, CSGO run excellent without any issues, but games like Dark Souls 3, Doom 2016 stutter.. Atleast the computer does not shut down, Im glad about that, but I still need to fix this issue. Any answers?

Well, seems like you've gotten to the bottom of the main problem, being somehow software realted (probably OS).

For the micro stuttering and in game FPS drops, that's more attributable to your CPU for certain games. The I5 6500 is still a decent chip, and was great in it's day. BUT, with 4c/4t it's maxing out in games now. Not all games, but anything CPU demanding like BF1, which can make use of more cores/threads. Once the CPU maxes out you get that little drop in FPS and it feels like a momentary stutter, then FPS go back up.

With a bios upgrade, you could put in an I7 7700 which would give you more CPU resources being 4c/8t, plus give you an extra few hundred mhz at turbo speeds, which will help push FPS a little.

For games like CSGO that aren't that demanding on the CPU it will be just fine, but for games like DOOM, BF1/V, COD the extra CPU horsepower really makes a difference in games smoothness.

manhatti Zee

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

So should I clean install windows from different copy? (I used cracked windows for this PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.