Question Massive number off writes to new SSD on new PC, is this normal ?

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi,

this is the 2nd SSD i'm using but the 1st time i'm using a new SSD in a new desktop (on 1st Oct 2021)

my old SSD is a Crucial MX500 (500GB) on an old desktop (Windows7-32bit) and less than 6TB written in 5 months..........the new SSD is a Crucial MX500 (250GB) running on Windows10-Pro..................

according to the Crucial SSD software suite....183 hours power on time......191GB free space..........922GB written since 1st Oct 2021 (28 days):eek:

according to HD Sentinel (installed on 3rd Oct 2021)......7 days, 14 hours power on time.........177GB free space.........Total Data Writes (7,490MB / 341,260MB):??:..............Daily average Writes (13,125MB)..........

i never hibernate the pc, only sleep through the night and had not turned off pc since 1st Oct 2021................so why the massive amounts of writes and discrepancy between the 2 softwares ?:unsure:

hi,

this is the 2nd SSD i'm using but the 1st time i'm using a new SSD in a new desktop (on 1st Oct 2021)

my old SSD is a Crucial MX500 (500GB) on an old desktop (Windows7-32bit) and less than 6TB written in 5 months..........the new SSD is a Crucial MX500 (250GB) running on Windows10-Pro..................

according to the Crucial SSD software suite....183 hours power on time......191GB free space..........922GB written since 1st Oct 2021 (28 days):eek:

according to HD Sentinel (installed on 3rd Oct 2021)......7 days, 14 hours power on time.........177GB free space.........Total Data Writes (7,490MB / 341,260MB):??:..............Daily average Writes (13,125MB)..........

i never hibernate the pc, only sleep through the night and had not turned off pc since 1st Oct 2021................so why the massive amounts of writes and discrepancy between the 2 softwares ?:unsure:
There is going to be a large amount of writes as the OS is installed and updates are applied.

Post a screen shot from crystal disk info.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Likely TRIM functions.

On a new system you would be plastering new information to the drive. To maintain performance many TLC drives operate in SLC mode, writing one bit per cell. When idle the drive will move those bits into proper storage. With TLC that means taking 4 bits and putting them together.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
There is going to be a large amount of writes as the OS is installed and updates are applied.

Post a screen shot from crystal disk info.

okay, many thanks..............so becoz the entire PC is new (30 days old now) ?............since my 1st SSD (cloned from HDD) on an old PC didn't have this kind of issue...........

Looks normal to me for a new PC.

normal even for a 30-day old PC ?...........many thanks too...........

What does CDI have to say?

i'm using HD Sentinel and Crucial's own software suite

Likely TRIM functions.

On a new system you would be plastering new information to the drive. To maintain performance many TLC drives operate in SLC mode, writing one bit per cell. When idle the drive will move those bits into proper storage. With TLC that means taking 4 bits and putting them together.

many thanks for the info...........so no need for me to worry ?........the PC is 30 days old now though...........

I would record the SMART attributes with CrystalDiskInfo. Take a snapshot immediately before and after writing a 10GB file to the drive, and then compare the raw values of the attributes.

i'm embarrassed to say, i've extremely little know-how on computers..........that's probably beyond my ability............many thanks for the advice though