Massive "only" in game internet lag.

palamut21

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Whenever i decide to play an online game my internet just goes crazy all of a sudden. I see my ms go up to OVER 9000! and disconnect right after that. But the weird thing is, i can also play a video in 1080p on youtube on my second display while starting the game and it's just smooth. But after i start the game the youtube download slows down and then just stops when the game disconnects. I have no idea what to do. I reset my router at least 3 times, cursed my ISP, reset my case wireless adapter but nothing happened. I'd appreciate your help guys. I don't want to punch my keyboard anymore.

Solution
Have you try to playing connecting your computer to your router by cable? If not, do it, so you can know if its a problem that only affects your wireless connection. When you are connected by cable, if you have the same problem, try disabling the wireless network of your router.

Another thing you should check is what gets disconnected, the connection between your computer and your router or the connection between your router and your ISP. After you lose the connection, go to Control Panel »» Network and Sharing Center »» Change adapter settings (for windows 8) »» double click on the network adapter you are using and check the duration of the connection. If this duration gets reseted then the problem is either on your router, network...
on the router make sure it has the newest firmware the same for the wifi adaptor.
also make sure the mb chipset driver is up to date and the wifi adaptor is too. also check the chipset that it uses see if the chipset vendor driver is newer then the card driver.
check to see with malware bytes and hitman pro that there malware on the rig.
look for 3 party aps that are using the port there is a known bug with some intel ethernet software if your mb has onboard intel ethernet port.the itel software instals with the drivers some non needed software. also some people have found out nvidia and ati now have 3 party software that sends data nad can slow online gaming.use msconfig and turn everything off but your anti virus. also try turning off (disable your onboard ethernet port to see if there a bug between the two).

Tchota

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Have you try to playing connecting your computer to your router by cable? If not, do it, so you can know if its a problem that only affects your wireless connection. When you are connected by cable, if you have the same problem, try disabling the wireless network of your router.

Another thing you should check is what gets disconnected, the connection between your computer and your router or the connection between your router and your ISP. After you lose the connection, go to Control Panel »» Network and Sharing Center »» Change adapter settings (for windows 8) »» double click on the network adapter you are using and check the duration of the connection. If this duration gets reseted then the problem is either on your router, network adapter or on some other part of your computer. If this value is not reseted, you should check on your router the duration of the internet connection (between router and ISP), if this value is reseted, try to follow this steps:

Step 1 : Change Router Password, wireless network name (and you should select not to broadcast it) and key (the default key is many times easy to discover). If you have the same problem, you should try to check if your router would work properly at someone else's house, or test another router in your house.
Step 2: Make sure windows, GPU drivers, other software isn't downloading drivers/ updates.
Step 3: Make sure Steam (or similar software) games aren't downloading/ updating
Step 4: During a game minimise with Win key or Alt + Tab and check to see if Steam mods aren't downloading (The workshop likes to download while gaming)
Step 5: Ask ppl in the house if they are using the net, check devices if they are using it (relatives might be watching HD Youtube vids ect.)
Step 6: Do ping test, Speedtest to check if it isn't your ISP
Step 7: If Speed & ping is good then no one in the house is using the net.You can test here: http://www.speedmeter.de/ and http://www.speedtest.net/
Step 8: Contact ISP via email & phone and find out what is going on.
Step 9: If nothing has changed switch ISP's
(based on http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2242458/high-ping-online-games-great-internet.html#13853227)

Solution