Massive Pagefile usage while idling.

chrisplmmr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
After having trouble running some games, I opened up MSI Afterburner to check my pagefile usage since it is known to cause lag sometimes. WHILE IDLING ON DESKTOP my page file usage is over 10000 MB while my RAM usage is ranging from 25% to 40%. I have searched and searched, not striking any luck fixing this issue. Also I have 8Gb of RAM installed in my computer.

Current Pagefile Settings

- System Managed
- Minimum 16 Mb
- Recomended 1912 Mb
- Currently Allocated 12050 Mb

Is there a way the pagefile usage can be fixed since RAM isn't even close to being used up?

Thank You!

Solution
Hmmm, 10GB is definitely excessive.
If you have 8GBs of RAM you can set your pagefile to a static 8449MB (initial size and maximum size). I wouldn't go any lower than that.

As far as Windows' usage of the pagefile, that depends on the programs you have running and Windows 10 settings. Remember that Task Manager may report that you are only using ~3GB but if you add the 'cached' statistic to that I bet you are close to 7GBs. Cached items are items in memory that are not currently being used but are ready to go. Windows manages cached memory dynamically so if something like a game starts up, cached stuff gets dumped to make room for the game (active processes).
Hmmm, 10GB is definitely excessive.
If you have 8GBs of RAM you can set your pagefile to a static 8449MB (initial size and maximum size). I wouldn't go any lower than that.

As far as Windows' usage of the pagefile, that depends on the programs you have running and Windows 10 settings. Remember that Task Manager may report that you are only using ~3GB but if you add the 'cached' statistic to that I bet you are close to 7GBs. Cached items are items in memory that are not currently being used but are ready to go. Windows manages cached memory dynamically so if something like a game starts up, cached stuff gets dumped to make room for the game (active processes).

Solution

chrisplmmr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017

Ok thanks for your input! Is there a way to check the cached items using up my memory?