[SOLVED] Massive preformence loss after reboot

Jul 3, 2020
Hello everyone!

English is not my native language so I hope you guys can understand everything i write. :)

So I have som issues since a week back with my system. It seems like I loose a ton of performence for no apparent reason and I can't find a solution.

My system:

XkqzhPI.png

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7-OP
750W PSU
Intel Core i7-8086K with Kraken X62
MSI GTX 1080 TI GAMING X TRIO
32GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz
Samung EVO 970 M.2
Windows 10 v2004
1440p Resolution

Just a few days ago i played WoW with max settings and with an average FPS of 100-120 outside Boralus and 75-80 in Boralus. Even at peak time with tons of people in the city.

Then suddenly one day my frames droped to 25 in Boralus and 60 outside, no matter the settings or how many people are flying araound in the city. I even changed the resolution to 1080, but I still get 25-40 fps.

28E0r8N.jpg

I did a 3D mark Time Spy benchmark and got a score of 8400.

When comparing to other 1080Ti benchmarks with similar systems it seems kind of low.

Userbechmark rates my system with "performing above expextations for all parts of the system except the GPU which gets a "performing below potential" but still as high as the average results.

HRlXYNX.jpg

I tried pretty much everything. Checked power settings in Windows (set to max performanece), checked nVidia control panel settings (set to prefer maximum performance), updated all drivers. Checking temps (all fine, GPU about 60 degrees and CPU about 40-50 in WoW).

Rivatuner says the GPU is used to 99% and the CPU to about 25 - 35%

I reinstalled my system since i was hoping it would resolve the issue but the problems are still present. I have the MSI gaming app for the GPU installed and tried both the "Gaming Option" and the "OC Option" but it did not make a difference. I changed settings in Windows and tried different CPU BIOS settings all day (i did however not OC anything manually), I only use the auto options (as it is right now, I activated the enhenced Multi Core performence option to boost the CPU to 5GHz), the RAM uses the XMP option aswell.

Now the really strange part:

At some point everything changed back to normal and i suddenly got a 9750-ish 3D Mark rating and WoW runs at 120 FPS again. I even rebooted the system just to check if it would change again but it worked for 2 days. I could play without any issues, everything worked prefectly. I even turned the computer off for a few hours and it still worked afterwards.

So yesterday i turned the PC off and went away for a day. Today i started the computer and logged into WoW. Guess what?!: FPS dropped to 30 again. 3D mark test says 8400 again. User benchmark still says everything is fine. Nothing between yesterday and today was changed. Not systemwise not Softwarewise.

I don't get this. Whats happening here? I'm really hoping that this is just some setting or whatever, because I don't know how to figure out which part of my System is causing this. Is something damaged? Please help!

Jul 3, 2020
UPDATE:

So I just opened up my Computer to check for dust, or other things that might have an impact on the performance. I couldn't find anything. I checked all cables in case something was loose or whatever.

BUT:

Now the game runs att full speed again. Could this be an indication for something? I unplugged the system from the power supply so for a few minutes there was no power connected to it at all. Could this entire issue be related to a faulty PSU?

I mean shoulnd't this somehow make the system unstable in other ways? I could play for 2 days with no issues so a faulty PSU would have caused problems right there or am i wrong?

Jul 3, 2020
Power supply faults usually manifest with switching off or rebooting or crashing freezing under high load. It doesn't sound like a PSU problem. It is a pretty good unit. I would sugest re-seating the ram and graphics card

Thank you for your answer. I'm usually very thorough when building a system and I had it for 2 years. However: I got 2 more sticks of RAM and put those in a few weeks ago. I did as you say and noticed that 1 was very very slightly not clicked in all the way.

I will just wait and see if this solved the issue and get back to this post. Thanks again!

Reactions: Flayed
Jul 3, 2020
Thank you for your answer. I'm usually very thorough when building a system and I had it for 2 years. However: I got 2 more sticks of RAM and put those in a few weeks ago. I did as you say and noticed that 1 was very very slightly not clicked in all the way.

I will just wait and see if this solved the issue and get back to this post. Thanks again!

UPDATE: Seems like your suggestion did the trick. Systems runs perfectly fine now. No issues what so ever. Thanks again!