Massive sporadic lag spikes, packet loss errors, need help!

Beast950

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
For the past few months, I've been having problems playing games on my windows 10 pc. It started seemingly randomly a few weeks after I started playing Overwatch (which up until that point worked fine). I would get packet loss error signals roughly every 20 seconds, which obviously caused a lot of frustration. I've looked up numerous troubleshooting suggestions, talked to my ISP about it, nothing helped. I can't figure this out, please help!
It's a wired connection, 100mb/s connection. If it helps, when I run a ping test on 8.8.8.8 these are my results:
Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 1683ms, Average = 68ms

Solution
You want to leave the ping run in the background while you have the game open. You want to be able to see the loss when it happens in game. You also want to ping your router ip to ensure that you see no issues to your router.

After this you would need to do a tracert and ping hops in the trace to see which is the first that causes issues. Pretty much the ISP will only fix the second one which represents the connection to your house. Anything past there is going to be someplace in the ISP network and the level 1 techs will not understand or have ability to do much.
You want to leave the ping run in the background while you have the game open. You want to be able to see the loss when it happens in game. You also want to ping your router ip to ensure that you see no issues to your router.

After this you would need to do a tracert and ping hops in the trace to see which is the first that causes issues. Pretty much the ISP will only fix the second one which represents the connection to your house. Anything past there is going to be someplace in the ISP network and the level 1 techs will not understand or have ability to do much.

Solution