Question Massive system instability - RAM related...

Oct 28, 2021
Hello!

System specs:
Aorus X570 Elite MB
Ryzen 5800x
RTX2080
64GB DDR4 3600mhz RAM (G.Skill Trident Z Neo)
Seasonic Focus 650 Gold PSU (Seasonic 650)
On latest BIOS revision (F36e)

So I'm having some odd issues. I had been running my system for the last year with no issues. However, recently it started freezing randomly. Apps would lock and refuse to close, although I could still move my mouse on-screen. Then usually very reliable apps began to crash constantly. Finally I started getting bluescreens. After a lot of trial and error, I learned I had a faulty ram module. So I RMA'd it and received a replacement.

Well now it seems like my PC refuses to take all 4 sticks at once. When I try and use all four sticks, either the PC refuses to post at all, and just sits there fans spinning forever, or the boot screen kicks me to a "system repair screen" which fails and then goes to a windows bluescreen asking what action I want to take. The one time I did get it to complete a boot up, my BIOS and Task Manager both said I only had 2 sticks of ram inserted.

Two sticks seems to be stable, but even after removing the 4 sticks and going down to 2, the PC has the same issues until I reset the BIOS a few times and do everything over. I feel like sometimes it would boot fine if I didn't use XMP. But even with XMP turned off with all 4 sticks in, it refused to work.

I did download Memtest86, and ran a full test and had 0 errors returned, so I think the RAM is okay now. I am undervolting the 5800x, but I had been before all the instability so I dont think its an issue. Also I tried resetting BIOS to default settings and yes, same issues are present. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello!

System specs:
Aorus X570 Elite MB
Ryzen 5800x
RTX2080
64GB DDR4 3600mhz RAM (G.Skill Trident Z Neo)
Seasonic Focus 650 Gold PSU (Seasonic 650)
On latest BIOS revision (F36e)

" I learned I had a faulty ram module. So I RMA'd it and received a replacement."

Well now it seems like my PC refuses to take all 4 sticks at once. When I try and use all four sticks, either the PC refuses to post at all, and just sits there fans spinning forever, or the boot screen kicks me to a "system repair screen" which fails and then goes to a windows bluescreen asking what action I want to take. The one time I did get it to complete a boot up, my BIOS and Task Manager both said I only had 2 sticks of ram inserted.

Two sticks seems to be stable, but even after removing the 4 sticks and going down to 2, the PC has the same issues until I reset the BIOS a few times and do everything over. I feel like sometimes it would boot fine if I didn't use XMP. But even with XMP turned off with all 4 sticks in, it refused to work.

Hi Jkist (y) and Welcome to the Forum :)

A rather unusual RMA as the full kit should have been returned.
List your kit's Part No? as you may have two issues!! a mismatch Latency and modules beyond what the IMC can support. Ram are not simple plug and play devices and OC RAM usually requires manual Bios tweaking for Timings and Voltage.

The 5800x officially supports up to 3200Mhz memory so there is no guaranteed support for the rated frequency at 3600Mhz and it is also more difficult for the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) in a 64Gb (4x4) combo. You will continue to have issues.
Also: Mixing RAM as you have is never a good idea.

Is there a reason for 64GB?

Get yourself a single kit (to test) the size you need at a frequency that are supported by the CPU and the Motherboard and chosen from the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021
Thank you so much for responding! So the system is perfectly stable with two sticks. I have zero issues running the XMP profile with 2 sticks as well, and all diagnostics show memory hitting 3600mhz. Memory kit was actually linked above, but I will link it again here for posterity: G.Skill Trident Z Neo.

I am after 64GB because I do music production, and loading lots of orchestral parts at once is very RAM intensive. All four modules should be the same model, I bought the same kit twice, just at different times.

So you are saying perhaps I would be better off, instead of 4x16gb, to go with a kit that is 2x32? I wouldn't mind selling this kit off and buying a different kit, if it would mean better performance and stability. Is there a specific kit you would recommend for my system? I also wouldnt mind lowering the frequency of these from the rated 3600 to 3200mhz... Thanks so much once again!

Thank you so much for responding! So the system is perfectly stable with two sticks. I have zero issues running the XMP profile with 2 sticks as well, and all diagnostics show memory hitting 3600mhz. Memory kit was actually linked above, but I will link it again here for posterity: G.Skill Trident Z Neo.

I am after 64GB because I do music production, and loading lots of orchestral parts at once is very RAM intensive. All four modules should be the same model, I bought the same kit twice, just at different times.

So you are saying perhaps I would be better off, instead of 4x16gb, to go with a kit that is 2x32? I wouldn't mind selling this kit off and buying a different kit, if it would mean better performance and stability. Is there a specific kit you would recommend for my system? I also wouldnt mind lowering the frequency of these from the rated 3600 to 3200mhz... Thanks so much once again!

Your Welcome.
Yes music production is a very valid reason for extra memory however as you have noticed the system works well with XMP enabled as a single kit.
As you need 64GB I would return what you can and get a single kit (2x32)
F4-3200C16D-64GTZN for better stability.