mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Can Windows read and write to FAT drives? I want to run two 40GB HDDs; one with Windows (master) and the other with Fedora Core 5/6 (slave). Can I make them both FAT, so as to have them both be able to write to one another, or, at least read one another? Or does the Windows drive need to be NTFS? This is going to be my first build, but I'm lost here.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
both on FAT would be ideal i guess, but linux doesn't run too good on fat, not having journalizing features n' all..., i think a better question would be does ext2 or ext3 have the ability to read fat, since fat can only read fat it's still sorta one way tho

with ntfs you won't have much chance either...some o/s can now mount ntfs paritions as read-only, but if you go for writes, it might mess things up, ntfs does read fat, but fat can't read ntfs

so try fat on fat, see how it goes, hopefully linux will be happy, make sure you install windows first then fedora to avoid boot loader issues

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
both on FAT would be ideal i guess, but linux doesn't run too good on fat, not having journalizing features n' all..., i think a better question would be does ext2 or ext3 have the ability to read fat, since fat can only read fat it's still sorta one way tho

with ntfs you won't have much chance either...some o/s can now mount ntfs paritions as read-only, but if you go for writes, it might mess things up, ntfs does read fat, but fat can't read ntfs

so try fat on fat, see how it goes, hopefully linux will be happy, make sure you install windows first then fedora to avoid boot loader issues

Setting file systems isn't re-writable, is it? I suppose I'll do FAT / FAT. Thanks.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
i'm not sure if i understand your question
linux mounts partitions with either read-only or read/write permissions upon startup, windows pretty much tries to enable both read and writes by using its own permissions

i'm assuming idealy...you'll want them both to be able to write to each other as well as read

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
i'm not sure if i understand your question
linux mounts partitions with either read-only or read/write permissions upon startup, windows pretty much tries to enable both read and writes by using its own permissions

i'm assuming idealy...you'll want them both to be able to write to each other as well as read
Yes, that's it. But it's perfectly fine if Windows cannot write to the Linux drive, and vice versa. I do want them to be able to read each other, how ever.