Master Browser Assignment

Can you point me in the right direction ?
Is there a way to assign a server the master browser role on a subnet with out holding an election. Windows NT Domain..
this is windows nt 4 server
our domain is nt 4 we have w2k severs but our PDC is nt 4
The solution I found is to setup a BDC on the Subnet, but we have over 40Vlans. The fix would be to setup 40 BDC's. Is there another way?
Our current issue is elections are being won on these vlans with non domain systems (we then lose the Abilty to browse on that subnet. )

First off the PDC is always the DMB or domain master browser
for it's domain it will register a domain name 1b unique name for
domains which guarantees this. It's responsible for merging the
domain wide list along with querying WINS for 1b entries to get
browse lists from other domains and it is also the SMB or segment
master browser for it's given endpoint which gathers the local list
and passes back to the DMB along with passing the merged list
back to the clients when requested. A common cause in a subnetted
environment is broadcast forwarding which causes the clients to
register with a remote SMB.. Another cause is a W2k or higher
machine which forces a browse election in order to become
the SMB and actually winning because of it's higher OS criteria.
That being said I would disable the computer browser service
on all W2k or higher machines the only effect being the machine
will not participate in browse elections and make sure broadcast
forwarding isn't enabled on the routers. Cisco has an IP helper
which does this.