[SOLVED] MasterCase H500 and Corsair H150i Pro

Aug 13, 2019
Hey there
Will the radiator of the H150i fit on the case with the 200mm fans ? or should I install the 120mm that came with the cooler ?

Solution
It's possible to do that if the radiator can be mounted seperately from the fans, but if not, then you'll need to use the 120mm fans in front.
Aug 13, 2019
Yes and no. The h150i pro is a 360mm (that's 120mm x 3) radiator. It'll physically mount in the case. Since it's only 120mm wide, you'll need to use 120mm fans. A 200mm Fan will not attach to a 120mm rad.
so if I mount the radiator to the back of the 200mm and mount the 120mm fans on the back of the radiator I'll be good to go ?

Jan 4, 2021
For the CoolerMaster h500 you can absolutely mount the radiator separately to the front of the case, with the 200mm fans on the outside. I just did this, no problem. My concern, however, is the 200mm case fans are not linked up to the h150i system so when your CPU gets hot and it wants to increase fan speed to compensate, the 200mm fans won't do it. I thought about hooking up the 200mm fan control to the h150i clips, but I'm not sure it would be sending the correct rpm to non-standard fans (since it assumes 120mm fans) and I'm not sure the 200mm fans have the appropriate bandwidth of speeds to accommodate, so I too the 200mm out and went with the expected 3 - 120mm fans.

All that unknown above tho, I did not try it. The 200mm might have worked. I did not go so far as to start it up and then try to get in to the h150i system, change fan settings, and test.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fan is a fan. They all report rpm the same, revolutions per minute. The software / motherboard / pump doesn't care what the actual rpm is, it only concerns itself with what it's doing.

So you'll have s fan curve that's set for temp and speed. The speed is represented as a % and is gradient from 0-100%. Almost all default curves set 70°C as 100% and the curve goes down from there.

So you can use a 200mm case mounted fan on a 120mm slotted radiator mounted internally. The only issue being loss of efficiency. 200mm fans aren't especially high static pressure, they are built to move a lot of air, not move air a lot. So you'll get minimal air flowing through the rad. A 120mm fan mounted directly to a 120mm slotted rad has little seepage, it's pretty well shrouded to channel its output directly into the fin array. A 200mm Fan on a 120mm slotted rad has tons of seepage, so any turbulence, any restrictive force applied to the air on the fin array will just divert the airflow around the rad instead of through it.

It'll fit, it'll work, it just won't work very well at all. You'll get much better efficiency and much better temp control with the 120mm fans.

Just use fan extensions. Link the fans to the cooler system instead of through system-fan motherboard header. Any fan header, be it on the pump or motherboard is the same 12v, so the fan could care less about source, it's the source that cares about the fan reporting back to it.