mata hari ability

How does mata hari's ability work? Does her ability allow her to only
meet the requirements of the card (to play the card) or to consider
herself of the required attribute for card text as the card is played
only or as it is played and thereafter?

For example: If it only allows her to meet the requirements of the card
to play the card but not consider herself of that attribute for text

you could play and use ventrue headquarters
you could not play and be considered a ventrue during ventrue justicar
you could not play and use the art of pain

If it allows her to meet the requirement of the card and have the
required attribute for card text as played (but not thereafter) ...

you could play and use ventrue headquarters
you could play and be considered a ventrue during ventrue justicar
you could not play and use the art of pain

If it allows her to meet the requirement of the card and have the
required attribute for card text as it is played and thereafter ...

you could play and use ventrue headquarters
you could play and be considered a ventrue during ventrue justicar
you could play and use the art of pain

Is this at all clear?

kit3cat2@yahoo.com wrote:
> How does mata hari's ability work? Does her ability allow her to only
> meet the requirements of the card (to play the card) or to consider
> herself of the required attribute for card text as the card is played
> only or as it is played and thereafter?

I assume its ruled just like playing cards as if one was a vampire. I
think its your second option

> If it allows her to meet the requirement of the card and have the
> required attribute for card text as played (but not thereafter) ...

> you could play and use ventrue headquarters
> you could play and be considered a ventrue during ventrue justicar
> you could not play and use the art of pain

IANLSJ, but I bet if you did a search LSJ Mata Hari...

> you could not play and use the art of pain

She could use it. It is only "this vampire" for the in-play effect.

I thought it was this toreador-anti gets +2 strength in combat

kit3cat2@yahoo.com wrote:
> > you could not play and use the art of pain
>
> She could use it. It is only "this vampire" for the in-play effect.
>
> I thought it was this toreador-anti gets +2 strength in combat

Per the website:

The Art of Pain [Sabbat:R, SW:R]
Cardtype: Master
Clan: Toreador antitribu
Cost: 2 pool
Unique master.
Put this card on a ready Toreador antitribu. The vampire with this card
gets +2 strength during combat.

-John Flournoy

<kit3cat2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1110832064.488810.51190@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> How does mata hari's ability work? Does her ability allow her to only
> meet the requirements of the card (to play the card) or to consider
> herself of the required attribute for card text as the card is played
> only or as it is played and thereafter?

All abilities that allow any minion to play a card that requires something
which the minion lacks as "as if this minion has/is that required something
(but only for the purposes of playing the card)".

> If it allows her to meet the requirement of the card and have the
> required attribute for card text as played (but not thereafter) ...

This one is correct. (Snip other two)

> you could play and use ventrue headquarters
> you could play and be considered a ventrue during ventrue justicar

Note that after being named Ventrue Justicar, the title would
immeditely fall inert until such time as she changes clan and
sect to become a Camarilla Ventrue.

--
LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (Remove spam trap to reply).
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

"John Flournoy" <carneggy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1110840995.264839.273170@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
> kit3cat2@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > you could not play and use the art of pain
> >
> > She could use it. It is only "this vampire" for the in-play effect.
> >
> > I thought it was this toreador-anti gets +2 strength in combat
>
> Per the website:
>
> The Art of Pain [Sabbat:R, SW:R]
> Cardtype: Master
> Clan: Toreador antitribu
> Cost: 2 pool
> Unique master.
> Put this card on a ready Toreador antitribu. The vampire with this card
> gets +2 strength during combat.
>
> -John Flournoy

So you would say that she can play the card, as if she were of the
required clan, but the card cannot be played on herself because the
card text (and not the requirement) states that it must be placed on a
!Tor and she is ravnos???

-Bem

> > you could not play and use the art of pain
>

> She could use it. It is only "this vampire" for the in-play effect.

Wha?? Art of Pain says "Put this card on a ready Toreador Antitribu".
She isn't one. I assumed her ability just allowed her to get around
requirements for putting the card into play from your hand, e.g. the
requirement on Ventrue Headquarters, not for being a vampire of type X
when playing a card that says "put this card on a X".

While Art of Pain just states "this vampire gets +2 strength during
combat", not "this Toreador Antitribu", I can't see how the card could
end up on Mata Hari.

If I'm wrong and Art of Pain (and a bunch of other similar cards) can
be played on her, then she's even stronger than I initially thought.

> Wha?? Art of Pain says "Put this card on a ready Toreador Antitribu".
> She isn't one. I assumed her ability just allowed her to get around
> requirements for putting the card into play from your hand, e.g. the
> requirement on Ventrue Headquarters, not for being a vampire of type X
> when playing a card that says "put this card on a X".

Exactly. She gets around the requirements for putting the card into play.
In order to put the Art of Pain into play, it has to believe that she is
Toreador Antitribu. So you can put it on her.

"Brendan Hunt" <Freaksden@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8e30270.0503142126.b3691d5@posting.google.com...
[Re: Mata Hari and Art of Pain]
> So you would say that she can play the card, as if she were of the
> required clan, but the card cannot be played on herself because the
> card text (and not the requirement) states that it must be placed on a
> !Tor and she is ravnos???

No. I say that her controller plays the card as if she is a Toreador
antitribu (since the card requires a Toreador antitribu), and so the
play of the card considers her a Toreador antitribu, so it can be
played on her.

Once it is on her, she gets the benefit, since the benefit is not
keyed to "This Toreador antitribu" (something for which she no
longer qualifies), but rather "This vampire" (and she is a vampire).

--
LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (Remove spam trap to reply).
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu

LSJ wrote:

Just doing a reality check. She can benefit from Proxy Kissed as well?

Sten During

"Sten Düring" <yappo@netg.se> wrote in message news:1110895933.51800eec3e5430fc0046e9743420eee5@teranews...
> LSJ wrote:
>
> Just doing a reality check. She can benefit from Proxy Kissed as well?

Only to gain a blood (which would then roll off, unless you've done some sort
of Tomb trick). The in-play stuff says "This Giovanni".