Matching papers & inks

HarryS

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2004

OK I just bought a Canon i965
Nice prints etc.
Now I'm looking for inks & papers etc.
Firstly I appreciate that Canon want my money. :)
I also follow that Canon Paper + Canon Ink could/should be a "matched pair."

So my question is , what do people like Kodak recommend?
They sell paper, not Canon paper or Epson Paper....just "Paper".
is their paper more "universal" than Canons?
(BTW I'm not even sure if Canon have a paper factory! :) )

And of course the next question is....
if Kodak paper gives good / great results
what about the ink?

Do the "refill" bottles work OK?
I've read the marketing that says "universal" inks are no good, only get
ink to match the printer model. Is this a truth, or just a "marketing fact"?

Is it important to 'match' paper & ink (thinking refills here)
if so any web links to tests etc appreciated.
or of course personal experience.
eg calidad inks? any good? & on what photo paper??
I'm mostly interested in Photo prints, although plain paper info would alos
be useful.

BTW The HP I have, has always been fed new (expensive) genuine carts....
The 2x's I tried refilling didn't work, just left banding etc. I think I now
know why
and hence thought I might try refilling the Canon's.

Thx in advance

Hi Harry,

Always a good idea to try out the papers of interest. If you consider
Kodak, then you can use their EasyShare software that includes One Touch for
our inkjet papers. We do not have all the printers in there just yet, if
they are new it takes a while 2-3 months to get the printer and run it
through our testing. Since yours is new, it is not listed just yet. Should
be soon enough, they are up to the 960.

http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet

Kodak has acquired a great many printers and ran them through some rigorous
testing to be sure that the information we provide about them is correct.
We used your printer and ink from the manufacturer but adjusted the settings
in the driver to maximize them for Kodak papers. Of course if you do not
use Kodak paper, the driver remains as it was from the manufacturer. If you
do use Kodak paper with EasyShare, the results are superb. It is all free,
and you can get the software directly from the Kodak website.

http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

If you have an interest, or questions, let me know. I am here for you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"HarryS" <HarryS@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<40da58e1@duster.adelaide.on.net>...
> OK I just bought a Canon i965
> Nice prints etc.
> Now I'm looking for inks & papers etc.
> Firstly I appreciate that Canon want my money. :)
> I also follow that Canon Paper + Canon Ink could/should be a "matched pair."
>
> So my question is , what do people like Kodak recommend?
> They sell paper, not Canon paper or Epson Paper....just "Paper".
> is their paper more "universal" than Canons?
> (BTW I'm not even sure if Canon have a paper factory! :) )
>
> And of course the next question is....
> if Kodak paper gives good / great results
> what about the ink?
>
> Do the "refill" bottles work OK?

How much do you care about quality (do the 3rd party inks
come with new profiles and/or are they an *exact* match)?
How much do you care about having at least some vague clue
as to how long it will take to fade? Does the 3rd party ink
mfgr provide such info specific for each paper you use (same
with color profiles)? Do you care about possible increased
risk to mucking with the printhead?

With our cheap canon universal printer/scanner/copier unit,
where we don't do "photo" prints for display, we use clone
inks for the colors (clone black printed with splotches so went
back to Canon black ink). With our photo printer, where the
answers to the above questions are different, we use Canon
Inks (and papers).

Mike

P.S. - Kodak works better with some printers than others, you'll
have to try. However their longevity ratings were considered
laughable by Wilhelm (who's numbers may be a bit wishy-washy
too for that matter due to complexity of the issue), so
try and see if you like it.

On 24 Jun 2004 10:47:11 -0700, gewgle@yahoo.com (Anoni Moose) wrote:

>"HarryS" <HarryS@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<40da58e1@duster.adelaide.on.net>...
>> OK I just bought a Canon i965
>> Nice prints etc.
>> Now I'm looking for inks & papers etc.
>> Firstly I appreciate that Canon want my money. :)
>> I also follow that Canon Paper + Canon Ink could/should be a "matched pair."
>>
>> So my question is , what do people like Kodak recommend?
>> They sell paper, not Canon paper or Epson Paper....just "Paper".
>> is their paper more "universal" than Canons?
>> (BTW I'm not even sure if Canon have a paper factory! :) )
>>
>> And of course the next question is....
>> if Kodak paper gives good / great results
>> what about the ink?
>>
>> Do the "refill" bottles work OK?
>
>How much do you care about quality (do the 3rd party inks
>come with new profiles and/or are they an *exact* match)?
>How much do you care about having at least some vague clue
>as to how long it will take to fade? Does the 3rd party ink
>mfgr provide such info specific for each paper you use (same
>with color profiles)? Do you care about possible increased
>risk to mucking with the printhead?

Depends. There's third party and then there's third party. The
particular third party I use is Permajet. And I use their CIS. And
they provide proper profiles for each ink/paper combination. And their
pigment inks are guaranteed for approx. 40 years minimum. And they
provide info for each paper type. And they don't cause problems with
the printhead. So, as I said, there's third party and there's third
party :)

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com