[SOLVED] matching XMP profile with RAM capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Hi there, here's my specs:

2x 8 GB ddr4 corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz.
MSI TOMAHAWK MAX motherboard
RYZEN 3100

Now many people said that by default your RAM runs below the speed that is actually advertised. That means my RAM runs below 3000mhz by default(let me know if I'm wrong about this!). if I enable the XMP and set it to 3000mhz(matching the speed with ram's speed), Will my RAM's lifespan become shorter? And should I set the FCLK frequency the same as 3000mhz to make it 1:1? there's a video that mentioned this(link below). Is it advisable to set 1:1?

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Thanks

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJ16hD4ysk

Solution
Yes agreed, So is that okay to set A-XMP to 3000mhz?
First read the users manual for the motherboard. Your motherboard has the A-XMP button. It isn't clear from the users manual, but I would start by just pushing the button. See what speed it picks.
XMP is an Intel invention but that doesn't mean it can't work on other platform.
it's not some kind of overclocking either, it's just a set of instructions to BIOS as to how to make settings for given or best performance as manufacturer tested, just so you don't have to do it manually. Most DDR4 starts at 2133MHz and faster modules may have 2 or more XMP levels to conform to motherboards and CPUs that can't run that RAM at full speed.
Don't be alarmed if BIOS doesn't...
Hi there, here's my specs:

RYZEN 3100

Now many people said that by default your RAM runs below the speed that is actually advertised. That means my RAM runs below 3000mhz by default(let me know if I'm wrong about this!). if I enable the XMP and set it to 3000mhz(matching the speed with ram's speed), Will my RAM's lifespan become shorter? And should I set the FCLK frequency the same as 3000mhz to make it 1:1? there's a video that mentioned this(link below). Is it advisable to set 1:1?

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Thanks

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJ16hD4ysk
XMP values are totally safe , that's the frequency manufacturer recommends.

kanewolf

Titan
RYZEN 3100

Since you have a Ryzen motherboard the setting to look for is "DOCP"
By default your memory runs at 2133. Setting the DOCP in the motherboard BIOS is safe. The RAM manufacturer has tested and warranty covers running at that speed. DOCP will automatically adjust clock speed and voltage as recommended by the RAM manufacturer.
I wouldn't recommend other changes until you verify stability.

Reactions: RajTheGeek
By default your memory runs at 2133. Setting the DOCP in the motherboard BIOS is safe. The RAM manufacturer has tested and warranty covers running at that speed. DOCP will automatically adjust clock speed and voltage as recommended by the RAM manufacturer.
That's MSI not Asus so no DOCP it's called A-XMP on that MB.

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
I think DOCP and XMP are the same thing. DOCP is the Asus version of Intel XMP. If that's correct Its okay to set the XMP to 3000mhz as advertised frequency correct?

kanewolf

Titan
I think DOCP and XMP are the same thing. DOCP is the Asus version of Intel XMP. If that's correct Its okay to set the XMP to 3000mhz as advertised frequency correct?
First read the users manual for the motherboard. Your motherboard has the A-XMP button. It isn't clear from the users manual, but I would start by just pushing the button. See what speed it picks.

Yes agreed, So is that okay to set A-XMP to 3000mhz?
XMP is an Intel invention but that doesn't mean it can't work on other platform.
it's not some kind of overclocking either, it's just a set of instructions to BIOS as to how to make settings for given or best performance as manufacturer tested, just so you don't have to do it manually. Most DDR4 starts at 2133MHz and faster modules may have 2 or more XMP levels to conform to motherboards and CPUs that can't run that RAM at full speed.
Don't be alarmed if BIOS doesn't follow XMP recommendations to a T, some like to modify few settings for better compatibility.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.