MATE accepted by Ubuntu ??

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

Just been playing on my Xeon system running U_12.04.x and .... discovered as automagic the entire new (1.6?) MATE ecosystem ready for download. Since when ... & is this Canonical support for MATE well known except for me?

SPL sort-of hinted at this in a previous post, but I did not believe him.

Haha 37.6 is old news. Guess they just ship the old models to the DRC... I'll resist the temptation to ask if it can play Crysis. Because that's an old joke.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Ms AMD_gurl:

I feel guilty enough running (blood-sucking) Ubuntu on the new hardware rather than trying Debian. Now MINT ... which vampires on UBUNTU !!! That's double-duty guilt. And if there is no official Ubuntu version of MATE, then why did it show up in my 12.04 UBUNTU advised **new install** list ? I do believe Shuttlesworth has crumbled before the universal UNITY-hate! Better check that out!

BTW: I am sitting on a new 7200rpm Seagate 1-T SATA that will be installed when I attempt to fix the front-case USB ports. Then I will try a new Linux OS. This full tower is so old it originally ran a system using (rock solid 4 hours at a time) WinME. I do fear for ghosts in the machine ....

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Don't know why but that triggered in my head the reason you never see Congolese kayaking, mountain climbing and other thrill seeking sports. Getting through the day has enough danger for us thank you very much.

Gotta watch out for those lions! That's what you're referring to right?

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Workstation build-out pushing ahead ... front panel USB & 1-T Seagate HDD installed. Will need to dig-out from panel 2nd USB cable. Seagate HDD "installer" CD failed to boot .. boohoo so I had to do the manual GParted/mkdir...mnt/..fstab hocus=pocus. Tasks more obscure than UUUUUUUUUUUUUgly ??? Imagine, having to **click** on an unmarked NCURSES-like word to proceed between steps! Unbelievable or obscure or ugly ? Take yo pick, but you don't need a trip to Siam to be reminded why only 0.57% of casual desktop lusrs use *nix.

Anyrate system looking good, though the unseeable/unguessable/unclickable Auria **brightness** adjustment process fits-right-in to the GPARTED lusr-hostile ourve. Oh yeah the screen needs a 2" rubber mat!

BTW does anyone know how to increase the (micro)size of **terminal** text? Damme I had to use a magnifying glass to read it while installing HDD. Did you know that:
**................ ** reads as /dev/sda1/ /mnt/satatwo ext4 0 0

You gotta love *nix

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Sorry, missed this.

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Knock yourself out.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
nss000, have you considered and RHEL 6 derivative like Scientific Linux 6? Default Desktop: Actual GNOME 2 (not MATE), does not come with office suite in LiveCD version (So you can install your beloved OpenOffice) and supported until 2020 (Until 2023 for RHEL)?

I forget if I have asked you this before or if you said something pertaining workflow incompatibilities but Scientific Linux 6 is what I use right now (Fedora LXDE is so unstable - not fond of changing from a familiar DM, so I might actually use Scientific Linux 6 past 2020 - we shall see!)

Right now Scientific is the only distribution I find less stressful/annoying to use than Windows for a variety of reasons. Unlike Ubuntu or Mint, Scientific is fast with a not so flashy DM (speed over style), Scientific doesn't come with a preinstalled (and outdated) version of LibreOffice on the LiveCD and basically everything is available in repos for RHEL 6 (Support is only slightly inferior to Ubuntu), just it's annoying to get epel up and running, but otherwise... :).

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Ms AMD_gurl:

Thanks for the new OS_version idea. I've been holding off ripping the new system apart , adding hardware (fan/RAM/HDD) and making new software choices till bro builds me a 4" riser for the 27" AURIA monitor . Sadly it's a neck-breaker now. And Apache-OO 4.0 has not yet arrived. **BTW** I have heard that Scientific Linux is "tool-less" and hard to admin. Are the RedHat repositories solid?

I can certainly retreat to creame-pieland (Ubuntu) if my butt gets kicked, but when my manuscripts start going into the system I'd like a long-lived, rock-solid system. Thanks again for good advise.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I have no idea what your specific requirements for an operating system are. Scientific Linux isn't hard to use - just different. Hard to say if you'll like it or not. My recommendation? Grab a spare HDD and check it out. Here's a review:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20130415#feature

More or less, Scientific Linux is good enough for me to use as my study computer. I do all my schoolwork on mine.

Linux package support goes as follows:
1st Tier: Ubuntu
2nd Tier: RHEL, Debian
3rd Tier: Fedora, Mageia, OpenSuSe, etc.

RHEL and its derivatives are fairly popular. RHEL and CentOS are pretty popular in the server space and Scientific Linux is the standard of FermiLabs, CERN, running the large hardron collider and even some of NASA's computers. You can buy servers from IBM that are preinstalled with RHEL. This is seriously stable stuff, far more stable than even Windows 7 (something Fedora clearly isn't) and runs more stable software than Ubuntu... with a stability level of Debian... but doesn't drive me insane :) (I may possibly be biased towards rpm distros). RHEL isn't significantly harder to admin than Ubuntu - most of the "how do I install xyz" can be found if you add "rhel" or "centos" to your search. Just copy and paste the CLI code and you're done.

os-linux-1201.png

You should be fine after you set up EPEL and remi (repo). There are so many guides on the internet to help you do so.

If you have problems adjusting, I will do my best to answer any questions you have.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Ms AMDgurl:

Since I am following your advise, and leaving my legacy AMD965/U_10.04LTS system untouched to do **REAL** work ( did you know Canonical is still pushing out updates !!!!) , the new Xeon/MSI_gd55 system can be **anything** and/or any-time I want to try --- nonono I will not try installing my fav WinME .

Most options are open -- excepting the Z77A_v-1.2 BIOS chokes on new NV_6XX GPUs; I will never be a gamrdude (gagcoughhak). But, I am almost ready to push in other new hard.ware.candy. Then summertimesummertimesumsumsummertime will be playtime to try out adventurous OS software. My burned U_12.04 DVD can always rescue me ... or you will ...

randomizer

Champion
You could also try it in a virtual machine using VirtualBox. It's usually quicker and simpler to get a distro working that way than installing it on bare metal, but the performance will naturally be poorer, especially if you use a 3D accelerated desktop environment (it's not too bad if you install the VirtualBox Guest Additions drivers, although this is not always simple). VMs are a good way to try lots of distributions in a short amount of time and narrow down to the one or two that you want to test more rigorously. Note that you will eventually want to install on bare metal because a VM is not in any way representative of how compatible your hardware is with that particular distro (at least out of the box).

Of course if you only have one or two distros to try then VMs are probably just wasting your time :)

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Ms AMDgurl:

I didn't explain myself well; I have two different hardware systems.

1) A 4-yo "legacy" AMD965/MSI-790fx-gd70 running U_10.04LTS. Under GNOME_2 it's solid & stable; more than I'll ever need!! This guy is my production box, holds **ALL** my data, runs scanner+printer and I do not change a thing on it.

2) A 6-mo Xeon-1240.v2 / MSI-Z77A-gd55 workstation with fancy AURIA monitor still being built-out in hardware. This system is my software experimental rig with two(2) 1-T Seagate HDDs one-of-which is a server-class unit that should last forever.
I can write/erase/re-write/re-format until I drop dead. This unit currently runs U_12.04.x primarily under MATE ... and SCATHACH-willing eventually runs **many** Linux variants until I settle on one as my new production environment.

True, I have **never** dual-booted OS on one box, but you can see I do not fear downloading, burning & installing any OS varient. That was a big reason I rejected an SSD on the new system; now wiping an enterprise_class HDD clean and installing something new and eye-candy-coated ( or bony/gristly/hoary Gentoo ) causes no issue.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
In that case by all means try SciLinux. It's supported until 2020 and uses the same kernel Ubuntu 10.04 does (2.6.32.x) but red hat often backports new features and hardware support.

The insane thing is that RHEL 6 itself is supported until 2023, so you can use classic GNOME 2 for another decade.

If the world hasn't ended by then, I'll gladly help you find another distro xD.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Risk-adverse me ... will count on your fearless experience. **BTW** I am still trying to buy a front panel multi-function with 3-audio ports, eSATA and a fan_controller/temp. display. No eBAY or NewEgg. I insist on voice_contact with a USA seller willing to document product features. Retro .... Luddite ... risk_adverse ... that's me.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Can Debian be trusted by a casual *nix lusr? When I lecture thermodynamics I certainly have said **RTFM ** to an inattentive student ... but I'll-be-dammed if I'd tolerate that myself! OS devs ought to feel privileged that I am investing **opportunity costs** in their work and provide to me all possible userland power. Byte-pervos mauling ARCH & GENTOO & LFS don't count! So I ask if Debian provides that best-of-class service? Oh contrario I understand they provide an intentionally crippled set of multi-media drivers to protect their virginal FOSS *zzwholes. Is this true? Failed effort in a significant cause I respect. Purposely crippled software I will not tolerate.

1. Trusted? Yes!
2. Best-of-class service? No chance. Debian's service is more like "if you don't know how to do basic Linux system management, GTFO!". Then again, you're not a Linux newbie, I hope.
3. As for GPU drivers, Wheezy has been a ton better. DKMS provides a simple way to install most drivers. I have a GTX 650 Ti that it picked up fine and I have no issues using it with Steam. I just recently installed a Radeon HD 7950 on my Debian box for the extra power and that also installed fine using DKMS. I've tried it with my HD 7970 and GTX 670 and both didn't work, but when I go to the vendor site (nvidia/amd) and downloaded the driver script and ran it with kdm disabled, it installed fine. So no issues that I can see here.