MATE installation fails in U_12.04

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

Five days of UNITY is more-than-enough in my new U_12.04.1 system. From the Unity terminal I use the advised syntax from ....

http://ubuntuportal.com/2012/08/how-to-install-mate-1-4-0-on-ubuntu-12-04linux-mint-13debian.html

.... to DLoad and install MATE: namely:

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment

After the "mate-archive-keyring" text I get a warning message:

"Install these packages without verification? [y/N].

I answer "y"-//return// ... and immediately get tossed-out(?) of the install with the message appearing:

" E: some packages could not be authenticated" ... and am returned to my terminal prompt.

What am I doing wrong?

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Perhaps solved myself: On another site I found this **magic sauce** ... to be entered in the UNITY terminal before the other COMMAND list:

gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 68980A0EA10B4DE8
gpg --export --armor 68980A0EA10B4DE8 | sudo apt-key add -

I found a couples of "hitches" and just kept plugging away. Eventually all the COMMANDS were taken and I got screens-full of pre-REDHAT-6 type mumbo-jumbo. Eventually it stops and you can re-boot.

Then onlog-in **DON"T**. Instead hit the tiny Ubuntu "talis" ... wait ... and click on MATE. Then login. Wonderful GNOME-2 reappears like Hectors shade, the worse for crappy scrawny typeface, but wielding its spear and shield .... whatever. . It looks to be all there. Hope it works at least twice.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Inside MATE, **synaptic package-manager** crashed on first use (babblefish error message) and while remaining visually in the /sys/admin menu will **not** respond with function to a //click//. The screen just stays blank if you //click// on MATEs SPM.

Among mate/Ubuntu/Ubuntu-2d a login choice now may/not LOCK-UP the sys with a BSOD. Sad state of affairs. MATE a dog-and-Pony show? With such retrograd behavior from U_12.04 environs no wonder *nix can manage only 0.57% ( down from 0.87%) of the serious computer user desktop market.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Madam:

You are most cruel.

Ubuntu had earned my trust by providing years of robust performance. That's concrete value! So I acted, reasonably imagining that the UNITY/MATE swap **might well** prove a low-cost high-value effort. Sadly .... though I will make a few more tries my belief in continuing value for UBUNTU or novel value for MATE appears several ways incorrect.

Attempting the UBUNTU/MATE mating(?) on my new jerry-build INTEL system ... which has no daily responsibilities ... further reduces the apparent costs of failure though my reports of failure make easy targets. I wish some-one had plainly spoken just how **CHEEZY** MATE looks! With Linux MINT tied into the MATE/CINNAMON duo I can well cast a skeptics eye on the entire distro.

Anyrate I have finals to grade and time to consider the next software venture.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Only me.

I am continuing the folly. Deluded I felt. I just DLoaded and installed GNOME-3 into U_12.04.1 .... I snagged the most recent shell from:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 **and then**:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Surprise surprise !!! All three GNOME shell(s) are clean, functional and attractive. I need look no further -- I am delighted with any of them. What need for MATE when GNOME-3 visually reproduces GNOME-2? What have critics been thinking and writing? Why didn't journalists report simply that ... excluding incremental GNOME touchups ... there had been **no** significant change?

I understand that Shuttlekock got p*ssed-off discovering the continuity. He figured he could **not** sell UBUNTU to IBM with such a traditional GUI as GNOME-3 presents. Da po' po' poooo ... and he's stuck with me ignoring cartoonish UNITY & FACEBOOK work-alikes for the next five years! Ha haha.