loganwiniecke28

Prominent
Mar 25, 2018
Hey all! I am fixing to go off to college once more, and this time I'd like a laptop to accompany me. Currently, I am deciding between the Surface Pro 4 and The Huawei Matebook D 14. While both aren't too similar in looks, they both are around the same spec-wise as well as their price range with the matebook being $578 on Newegg and The Surface Pro 4 is around 500 used on eBay. I plan to use this device for note-taking, content consumption (web surfing and Youtube), word processing, and data transfer back and forth from my primary desktop.

Their Specs.​
Surface Pro 4. i5 config.
  • i5 6300u 6th gen 2.4 GHz (up to 3.0GHz)
  • 8gb RAM DDR4
  • 12.3" 10 point multitouch screen
  • Intel integrated graphics
  • Resolution: 2736 x 1824
  • Aspect Ratio: 3:2
  • Windows Hellow enables
  • 1080p front and back cameras
  • USB A 3.0, Mini Displayport, and headphone jack 3.5"
  • Windows 10 pro
  • 256 SSD
  • 5hr battery life (realistically)
Huawei Matebook D 14.
  • AMD Quad-Core Ryzen 5 2500U 2.0GHz (Up to 3.6GHz)
  • 8GB DDR4
  • Upgraded 128GB SSD
  • AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
  • Resolution 1920 x 1080
  • Aspect ratio 16:9
  • Wi-Fi, BT,
  • USB A 3.0, USB C, HDMI, USB A 2.0, and 3.5" Headphone jack.
  • Fingerprint Sensor
  • 256gb SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • 9hr (battery life)
Conclusion
While the Matebook is definitely a raw power upgrade, I think it lacks the versatility that the Surface Pro has. Especially when coupled with its keyboard and stylus (bundled) I think that the Surface Pro can outmatch the Matebook in productivity and portability. However, I have my doubts about its longevity in the coming 3 years, and its inability to hold a charge longer than the Matebook, but at least I can fix that with a battery bank.

To some, this may seem like an easy decision (Matebook), but something is just telling me that I need a second opinion.

Solution
The only advantage of the MS Surface Pro 4 is the detachable screen even though it's quite outdated.

Also, it's accessories like type cover, pen and mouse are a bit expensive.
You have to buy them separately.

Huawei Matebook D14 will be the better choice.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
The only advantage of the MS Surface Pro 4 is the detachable screen even though it's quite outdated.

Also, it's accessories like type cover, pen and mouse are a bit expensive.
You have to buy them separately.

Huawei Matebook D14 will be the better choice.

Last edited:
Solution