Mathematicians Calculate 10 Trillion Digits of Pi With Xeons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another calculation...... that's not to anyone's use..... plus the amount of electricity they wasted calculating that crap, they could have easily folded those 2 processors and got a good number on the folding list atleast helping someone calculate something more meaningful and helpful.

G

"waa its not helpful, you should use it for curing blahblah disease"

stfu. without scientific and mathematical advances, you wouldn't be able to 'fold' at all. this is a mathematical advancement, which will lead to more accurate scientific measurements. if we followed your logic, we'd still be creating scientific ways to determine if someone is a witch.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
- Two Intel Xeon Hexa Core server CPUs: $ 7600.00
- 96 Giga Bytes of DDR3 RAM: $ 2970.00
- 2 TB of Harddrive, Xeon Dual Socket Motherboard and Power Supply: $1100.00
- CALCULATING PIE TO 10 TRILLION DIGITS in 371 days: PRICELESS!!!!!!

if they used two bulldozer fxes to count those pi numbers they would have
melt all of north pole then vaporize all the water.
raised global warming by 11c.
provided heating for all of siberia.
helped cook world's largest cpu powered pizza oven.
made human torch blush.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]- Two Intel Xeon Hexa Core server CPUs: $ 7600.00- 96 Giga Bytes of DDR3 RAM: $ 2970.00- 2 TB of Harddrive, Xeon Dual Socket Motherboard and Power Supply: $1100.00- CALCULATING PIE TO 10 TRILLION DIGITS in 371 days: PRICELESS!!!!!![/citation]

And my version of this is...

- Two Intel Xeon Hexa Core server CPUs: $ 7600.00- 96 Giga Bytes of DDR3 RAM: $ 2970.00- 2 TB of Harddrive, Xeon Dual Socket Motherboard and Power Supply: $1100.00- CALCULATING PIE TO 10 TRILLION DIGITS in 371 days: USELESS!!!!!!

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
To the average person, these calculations are worthless... but to a mathematician working at NASA they are a gold mine... I guess... But I would assume that NASA would get the same number faster from their own supercomputers...

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

- Two Intel Xeon Hexa Core server CPUs: $ 7600.00- 96 Giga Bytes of DDR3 RAM: $ 2970.00- 2 TB of Harddrive, Xeon Dual Socket Motherboard and Power Supply: $1100.00- CALCULATING PIE TO 10 TRILLION DIGITS in 371 days: USELESS!!!!!!

- Two Intel Xeon Hexa Core server CPUs: $ 7600.00- 96 Giga Bytes of DDR3 RAM: $ 2970.00- 24 2 TB of Harddrive $ 5759.00, Xeon Dual Socket Motherboard and Power Supply: $1100.00- Having the Biggest slice of pie: PRICELESS!!!!!!

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Actually it is not so much about the calculation of pi as it is about measuring the numerical and computational capabilities of the hardware. We sure want to be able to trust that the hardware is computing even more "meaningful" things correctly. Calculation of pi is a commonly used benchmark tool for measuring hardware in this regard.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]theTwiz[/nom]"waa its not helpful, you should use it for curing blahblah disease"stfu. without scientific and mathematical advances, you wouldn't be able to 'fold' at all. this is a mathematical advancement, which will lead to more accurate scientific measurements. if we followed your logic, we'd still be creating scientific ways to determine if someone is a witch.[/citation]

actually, this is a complete waste.

remember, pi is used to calculate how round a circle is. in reality, there is no such thing as a perfect circle, and that number would end, but this is a theoretical number.

take a look at a cars pistons, as a common example, i beleive that we are more than close enough there, and in a more scientific view, they always account for a margin of error. lets say this was needed land something on mars, the margin of error that they calculate would make such a precise number pointless.

this is a pointless waste of resources, and almost any application of the power would have been better.

psp09

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
So these two processors are used 371 days plus the 45 days of data verification with a 100% of workload?? i dont think so.

How much was the power consumption during the whole process, someone measured that??

But beside that, nice job guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.