[SOLVED] Matrexx 70 RGB case HELP!

Kevin257

Prominent
Nov 30, 2019
Hello,

I'm having a difficult time controlling the front fans and led strip RGB from my motherboard. I am not sure if I connected the header wrong, but after connecting the cables that came with the case to the daisy chain, I am left with a 3 pin VDG connector. Any help would be great. The motherboard I am running is the b450 Aorus pro wifi. I connected the VDG connector to the D_LED_V_SW2 header on the motherboard. The fans light up but I can't sync it with the rest of my components. Thank you!

Solution
What you say is the wrong way to connect. If you really plugged that VDG connector into the D_LED_V_SW2 header, you MUST disconnect from there! That is NOT a header that you plug any item into!

The header you DO need to use is next to that with a label D_LED2. It has 3 pins, looking like it had four but one is missing. The cable from your case's fans etc. should have one connector on an end with three holes that match that D_LED2 header.

In the early days of lights, there was a version of Addressable RGB lights that used a 12 VDC power supply line. Those have pretty much disappeared and now almost all lights use a 5 VDC supply. The item called D_LED_V_SW2 is a JUMPER device to allow you to set the voltage output from the D_LED2 header...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What you say is the wrong way to connect. If you really plugged that VDG connector into the D_LED_V_SW2 header, you MUST disconnect from there! That is NOT a header that you plug any item into!

The header you DO need to use is next to that with a label D_LED2. It has 3 pins, looking like it had four but one is missing. The cable from your case's fans etc. should have one connector on an end with three holes that match that D_LED2 header.

In the early days of lights, there was a version of Addressable RGB lights that used a 12 VDC power supply line. Those have pretty much disappeared and now almost all lights use a 5 VDC supply. The item called D_LED_V_SW2 is a JUMPER device to allow you to set the voltage output from the D_LED2 header to either the odd 12 VDC setting or to the common 5 VDC setting. You do this by placing a jumper over the correct set of pins on this item. In your case you MUST set it to 5 VDC BEFORE pluuging your lightiong cable into the header. Otherwise you could burn out your lights.

Once the corrections are made, check the instructions that came with your case. It has its own lighting display buttton on the case front to choose the display pattern. But some operation there (often holding it down for a few seconds) tells it to stop doing its own thing and use the controls coming to it by that cable you just connected to the mobo header.

Solution

Kevin257

Prominent
Nov 30, 2019

In the early days of lights, there was a version of Addressable RGB lights that used a 12 VDC power supply line. Those have pretty much disappeared and now almost all lights use a 5 VDC supply. The item called D_LED_V_SW2 is a JUMPER device to allow you to set the voltage output from the D_LED2 header to either the odd 12 VDC setting or to the common 5 VDC setting. You do this by placing a jumper over the correct set of pins on this item. In your case you MUST set it to 5 VDC BEFORE pluuging your lightiong cable into the header. Otherwise you could burn out your lights.

Once the corrections are made, check the instructions that came with your case. It has its own lighting display buttton on the case front to choose the display pattern. But some operation there (often holding it down for a few seconds) tells it to stop doing its own thing and use the controls coming to it by that cable you just connected to the mobo header.

Hi Paperdoc,

I really appreciate your response. I also agree that the 4 pin with one of them missing is the one I should be plugging into. However, I don't think the case comes with it? If you look at the image 5/6 on the imgur link, that is the end of the RGB fans daisy chain. So there are three pins sticking out. On image 6/6, I have the 4 pin connector I think you are talking about but i can't connect it to the daisy chain because the connector beside it is also the 3 pin header.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I could not find a manual for the case, but I did find a video on YouTube from DeepCool explaining. I misunderstood the case's controls a bit. In their video you remove the RIGHT-hand side panel to expose some cables and a small RGB control box. You can choose to control the lights EITHER using the case's top button OR using a connection to the mobo header, but NOT both. You want to do this via the mobo.

The case comes with one cable (likely the one in photo 6/6) that has a female 3-pin ARGB connector on it to plug into the mobo header. The other end of this should have a MALE DeepCool connector on the end with 3 pins. In the case, the several lighting cables from its three fans plus one strip come together in a group. From that group there should be one cable coming out that ends in a FEMALE 3-hole connector, and has a tag on it that says "MAIN". It MAY already be plugged into a male connector on a cable coming down from the little case-mounted control box. If so, DISconnect that so you have the female connector free. Now you can plug in the male connector on the cable from the mobo header. If you do this, also look for a second cable from the case-mounted control box that is plugged into a SATA power output from the PSU. DISconnect that one, also, since you do not plan to use that case-mounted box.

NOTE that the cable from the mobo header must plug into a FEMALE connector at the start of the daisy-chain system. It sounds like you were trying to plug that into a MALE connector on the end of the daisy-chain. BUT that one is the OUTPUT from the LAST fan to connect a the next fan. What you need is the female on the FIRST fan in the chain, and that's the one with the "MAIN" tag on it.

Kevin257

Prominent
Nov 30, 2019
I could not find a manual for the case, but I did find a video on YouTube from DeepCool explaining. I misunderstood the case's controls a bit. In their video you remove the RIGHT-hand side panel to expose some cables and a small RGB control box. You can choose to control the lights EITHER using the case's top button OR using a connection to the mobo header, but NOT both. You want to do this via the mobo.

The case comes with one cable (likely the one in photo 6/6) that has a female 3-pin ARGB connector on it to plug into the mobo header. The other end of this should have a MALE DeepCool connector on the end with 3 pins. In the case, the several lighting cables from its three fans plus one strip come together in a group. From that group there should be one cable coming out that ends in a FEMALE 3-hole connector, and has a tag on it that says "MAIN". It MAY already be plugged into a male connector on a cable coming down from the little case-mounted control box. If so, DISconnect that so you have the female connector free. Now you can plug in the male connector on the cable from the mobo header. If you do this, also look for a second cable from the case-mounted control box that is plugged into a SATA power output from the PSU. DISconnect that one, also, since you do not plan to use that case-mounted box.

NOTE that the cable from the mobo header must plug into a FEMALE connector at the start of the daisy-chain system. It sounds like you were trying to plug that into a MALE connector on the end of the daisy-chain. BUT that one is the OUTPUT from the LAST fan to connect a the next fan. What you need is the female on the FIRST fan in the chain, and that's the one with the "MAIN" tag on it.
Hi Paperdoc,

Thanks again for your reply. I was able to free up a female connector from the main cable and connected it to the male connector which is the cable in 6/6. However, where do I connect the 4 hole with one missing connector to the motherboard? I tried D_LED_2 but it doesn't fit?

Kevin257

Prominent
Nov 30, 2019
So I plugged the connector from 6/6 on to the motherboard that says D_LED2 , but none of the fans are lighting up or the LED strip.

Thanks for your help Paperdoc. I really appreciate it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have made the correct connection. The process also requires that you download and install the free software utility RGB Fusion for your Aorus mobo. Use that to set how you want the lights to work. As I said avove, I DO hope you placed the jumper on the D_LED_V_SW2 jumper pins to select the 5 VDC option, and NOT 12 VDC.

Kevin257

Prominent
Nov 30, 2019
Hi Paperdoc,

I appreciate your reply again. So I tried connecting to the 4 pin headers (both LED_1 and LED_2 addressable), but both of them don't light up. I then tried to plug in to a spare pc I had and it lights up. Does this mean my led headers are fried or defective?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You should NOT try to plug your 3-pin cables into any mobo 4-pin header! I believe both the LED_1 and LED_2 headers have FOUR pins. Plugging a 3-pin lighting system into one of those may burn out the lights and destroy them.

You have not answered directly two things I said are important.
  1. Did you set the jumper on that D_LED_V_SW2 header properly?
  2. Have you downloaded and installed the RGB Fusion utility? Have you opened that and used it to set your lighting display preferences?

TRENDING THREADS