Aug 26, 2022
Hello,

I would like some advice on this parts list please. Basically if theres something catastrophically bone or something is incompatible. In terms of significant workload, this is just for gaming. No content creation etc.

Planning on gaming AAA's on ultra or high at 1440p 100 -140 fps for at the next 3ish yrs. Thats when I'll probably upgrade graphics and CPU. Most the other stuff I would like to last around abt the 5 yr point, then I'll start looking at a 4k setup. He says lol.

Case is Fractal Meshify 2 Mini. I think the clearances work from looking at the Fractal website.

I have appropriate monitor and other periphs.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/TorqueWrench/saved/#view=YQZC8d

The Conductonaut is a liquid metal paste, which I would consider overkill for this sort of thing. There's also the issue of needing to make sure to apply it correctly, otherwise bad things can happen. Recommend swapping it for Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, Arctic MX-4, or Noctua NT-H1.

I would argue for the cooling, get two 140mm fans for the front. Though if you want, keep one of the 120mm fans for the back. I don't find putting fans on the top contributes anything meaningful to cooling (at least in my experience with the Meshify C and an air cooler).

I'm also guessing you want this now, because next gen parts are coming out later this year.

Aug 26, 2022
Thanks for the reply

I’ll swap the paste out.

I initially thought about the 140mm fans but this case review made me think it was a bit pointless the way the case is designed (3:02m):
View: https://vimeo.com/736478568/description

Wdy think?

I wasn’t too bothered about the new gen coming out later this year if this set up can handle 1440p at 120ish fps but are you asking from a financial perspective or performance?

I would wait and get the 13600K, it has another 4 E cores to give you 14 cores in total. It will be announced in September and is expected to be available in October. You should be fine with those components in the Meshify C mini. I think you will be ok but I would check the length of the PSU, I don't think it's a problem with the 850W and lower but some of the RM series are slightly longer than a standard ATX PSU and won't leave enough room for your cables in a Meshify C.

I initially thought about the 140mm fans but this case review made me think it was a bit pointless the way the case is designed (3:02m):
View: https://vimeo.com/736478568/description

Wdy think?
I don't think that's really a problem per se. It's not optimal sure, but I think it'd be pinching peanuts at that point.

The biggest concern I have is in the default configuration on Fractal's website, the fan is blowing towards the CPU. And while I'm sure the video card fans spooling air up into it will create some air flow, I feel it's better to have at least something blowing air towards it.

I wasn’t too bothered about the new gen coming out later this year if this set up can handle 1440p at 120ish fps but are you asking from a financial perspective or performance?
A little bit of both. But if you're fine with something being around the corner, then I won't try to convince you to wait :)

Aug 26, 2022
I would wait and get the 13600K, it has another 4 E cores to give you 14 cores in total. It will be announced in September and is expected to be available in October. You should be fine with those components in the Meshify C mini. I think you will be ok but I would check the length of the PSU, I don't think it's a problem with the 850W and lower but some of the RM series are slightly longer than a standard ATX PSU and won't leave enough room for your cables in a Meshify C.

Thanks for the feedback. I should have 8mm spare on the PSU and up to 200mm if I remove the HDD cage.

In terms of the performance I’m after is this adequate for the next few years? October feels like a long way off but I hear your point. Having said that it’s only 4-6 weeks..

Aug 26, 2022
I don't think that's really a problem per se. It's not optimal sure, but I think it'd be pinching peanuts at that point.

The biggest concern I have is in the default configuration on Fractal's website, the fan is blowing towards the CPU. And while I'm sure the video card fans spooling air up into it will create some air flow, I feel it's better to have at least something blowing air towards it.

A little bit of both. But if you're fine with something being around the corner, then I won't try to convince you to wait :)

Thanks mate. I'm sure I can wait a few weeks...

Thanks for the feedback. I should have 8mm spare on the PSU and up to 200mm if I remove the HDD cage.

In terms of the performance I’m after is this adequate for the next few years? October feels like a long way off but I hear your point. Having said that it’s only 4-6 weeks..
I think you will be fine with that one, the 1000W version is about 20mm longer than the 850W. I have a Meshify C as well and I use the hard drive cage so for me it was important the PSU wasn't too big.

I understand with the waiting, I got tired of waiting when I was building too and just bought what was available. The short answer would be, yes I would expect a 12600K to do a good job of high refresh rate gaming for the next few years.

However I'm just making an educated guess. Given that your running at 144hz a i7 12700K or 13700K is worthy of consideration if you can afford it. I wouldn't replace such a chip after 3 years though but that's just me.

Aug 26, 2022
I think you will be fine with that one, the 1000W version is about 20mm longer than the 850W. I have a Meshify C as well and I use the hard drive cage so for me it was important the PSU wasn't too big.

I understand with the waiting, I got tired of waiting when I was building too and just bought what was available. The short answer would be, yes I would expect a 12600K to do a good job of high refresh rate gaming for the next few years.

However I'm just making an educated guess. Given that your running at 144hz a i7 12700K or 13700K is worthy of consideration if you can afford it. I wouldn't replace such a chip after 3 years though but that's just me.

Thanks for the input mate. Appreciate you taking the time.

Aug 26, 2022
No worries. I didn't notice before but just realised you have a £300+ board, I think that's probably the best mATX board you can get. If your getting that then I would encourage you to spend £100 more and stick an i7 on it.

I want a mATX that supports DDR5 and PCIe 5. I don't know a great deal about CPU's. Whats the thought process behind getting an i7 if an i5 can do the job. This rig will be purely for gaming. Is it cos it will run cooler?

I want a mATX that supports DDR5 and PCIe 5. I don't know a great deal about CPU's. What's the thought process behind getting an i7 if an i5 can do the job. This rig will be purely for gaming. Is it cos it will run cooler?
No the i7 will run hotter than an i5 because it's got more cores and runs at a higher clock speed. The reason I say to get the i7 is because historically they have aged better than there i5 counterparts. Your building such a premium machine with such an expensive board, it would make sense to pair it with an i7. It would take a 5% increase in your overall budget to add 29% more CPU power.

Aug 26, 2022
No the i7 will run hotter than an i5 because it's got more cores and runs at a higher clock speed. The reason I say to get the i7 is because historically they have aged better than there i5 counterparts. Your building such a premium machine with such an expensive board, it would make sense to pair it with an i7. It would take a 5% increase in your overall budget to add 29% more CPU power.

Ok mate thanks. I’ll do some more studying up on it 👍🏻