Jul 10, 2020
Hi so I’ve been planning for quite a while to upgrade my pc. I’m planning on upgrading to a ryzen platform. A ryzen 5 3600 to be exact, im only looking to upgrade the motherboard and ram because of my budget.

My pc specs at the moment are:

I5 6400 2.7 ghz
H170 oem motherboard
8gb dd4 2133mhz samsung ram

The problem is that there is a lot of boards to choose from, wether it’s manufacturer difference or chipset difference. I’ve been looking at a couple of mATx boards but don’t know exactly which one I should choose cause I want a board that is more than capable of supporting an R5 3600 because I want the ability to easily overclock the cpu If I need the extra juice in the future, but I am on a tight budget.

The exact boards I've been looking at are the following:

MSI B450M Mortar max
Gigabyte B550M aorus Pro

The MSi boards in general have good reviews and are pretty good at handling ryzen cpu because of their vrm cooling and such but the B550m from gigabyte also look like a decent board for the price, with pretty big vrm heatsinks. I've read a lot about vrm's and power phases but still am a bit of a noob so, does anyone have any advice on which board should be better or have any experiences with the baords? or have any other suggestions that are in the same priec range

Solution
I'm in a similar situation. I also settled on the Ryzen 5 3600, with the tought that I might upgrade to newer generation when they come out. The reviews for 550M boards are sparse so far, because the boards are not available yet in many countries. I found one review on YouTube (in Chinese) that compared all the top mATX from all the brands. The MSI B550M Mortar ran the coolest. From what I read (on other sites), it has the best power stage of all the mATX boards. I originally planned to buy the Gigabyte B550M aorus Pro, it really has all the features I need. But I knew that the VRM is not as good, and what looks like the heatsink is actually partly plastic cover. After seeing in that video that the MSI runs 20C cooler, I decided to...

SysBuff

Reputable
May 21, 2020
I'm in a similar situation. I also settled on the Ryzen 5 3600, with the tought that I might upgrade to newer generation when they come out. The reviews for 550M boards are sparse so far, because the boards are not available yet in many countries. I found one review on YouTube (in Chinese) that compared all the top mATX from all the brands. The MSI B550M Mortar ran the coolest. From what I read (on other sites), it has the best power stage of all the mATX boards. I originally planned to buy the Gigabyte B550M aorus Pro, it really has all the features I need. But I knew that the VRM is not as good, and what looks like the heatsink is actually partly plastic cover. After seeing in that video that the MSI runs 20C cooler, I decided to spend the extra money on the MSI. The basic Mortar costs $30 over the Aorus. But MSI charges only $10 more for the WiFi model. So I figured that for $40 more, I get better VRM and cooling, 2.5G Ethernet, WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5. For me it would be money well spent.

Here is the video: (The temperature results are at 17:06)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjvWSFm7wzs

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Buibrian123
Solution
Jul 10, 2020
I'm in a similar situation. I also settled on the Ryzen 5 3600, with the tought that I might upgrade to newer generation when they come out. The reviews for 550M boards are sparse so far, because the boards are not available yet in many countries. I found one review on YouTube (in Chinese) that compared all the top mATX from all the brands. The MSI B550M Mortar ran the coolest. From what I read (on other sites), it has the best power stage of all the mATX boards. I originally planned to buy the Gigabyte B550M aorus Pro, it really has all the features I need. But I knew that the VRM is not as good, and what looks like the heatsink is actually partly plastic cover. After seeing in that video that the MSI runs 20C cooler, I decided to spend the extra money on the MSI. The basic Mortar costs $30 over the Aorus. But MSI charges only $10 more for the WiFi model. So I figured that for $40 more, I get better VRM and cooling, 2.5G Ethernet, WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5. For me it would be money well spent.

Here is the video: (The temperature results are at 17:06)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjvWSFm7wzs

Hope this helps!
Ahh I see, thank you so much for your help and time, It helped a ton! I think I’ll spend the extra 30$ on the msi board ^^