Max Compatible Memory Speed for i7 7700 (Non-K)

knfa28

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hi guys, I'm planning on making an HTPC build on one of Intel's new Kaby Lake non-K CPUs. I was wondering what would be the best possible specs for the memory which would be compatible with my system:

* CPU - Intel i7 7700
* Mobo - MSI Z270i Gaming Carbon Pro AC
* CPU Cooler - Noctua L9i
* SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280
* HDD - (2x) WD Black 2.5" 7200RPM
* GPU - MSI GTX1070 Founder's Edition
* PSU - Corsair SF600 SFX

Thinking of using a (2x8GB) 16GB memory configuration and I'm currently undecided with the following selection with regards to their compatibility and performance:

* Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz CL14
* Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz CL16

Both of the configurations are pretty much at the same price point so budget won't be a problem.

Was also wondering if there would be any issues in choosing memory modules with higher speeds, like a 3200Mhz one for example, since they specified in Intel's product page that the i7 7700 can only support 2133MHz and 2400Mhz, but at the same time, the MSI Z270i Carbon motherboard supports speeds up to 3800MHz. As such, what would be the maximum memory speed compatible with an i7 7700 without having to overclock the CPU (since I obviously can't with a non-K skew).

Would very much appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thanks in advance :)

Solution
For assured compatibility, go to the corsair ram selection app and enter your motherboard.
You will get a list of compatible ram kits.
I have no doubt that both will be supported.
Ram faster than 1.2v 2400 speed needs to be overclocked to reach higher speeds.
You motherboard will support much higher speeds via XMP settings.
As ram gets faster, latency increases.
Divide latency into speed for a figure of merit on performance.
By that test, the 2400 speed with lower latency is better assuming a discrete graphics card.
In actual app performance or fps, there negligible difference in performance.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page1.html
For assured compatibility, go to the corsair ram selection app and enter your motherboard.
You will get a list of compatible ram kits.
I have no doubt that both will be supported.
Ram faster than 1.2v 2400 speed needs to be overclocked to reach higher speeds.
You motherboard will support much higher speeds via XMP settings.
As ram gets faster, latency increases.
Divide latency into speed for a figure of merit on performance.
By that test, the 2400 speed with lower latency is better assuming a discrete graphics card.
In actual app performance or fps, there negligible difference in performance.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page1.html

Solution

p5yc0k1ll3r

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
I bought an i7 7700 non k as cheap as possible. With a b250m bazooka motherboard and the G.skill ddr4 2400mhz 2x8gb ram and a Rx480 4gb Powercolor. I switched the xmp profile on my ram to run at its advertised speed of 2400mhz.i dont care for faster ram. And in battlefield 1 in ultra settings at 1080p on 64 player maps i get 88 to 100fps.i don't believe in over clocking. This for me is perfect. I dont know if faster ram would make a big difference. I only game on my pc

Sep 14, 2019
The spec for the i7-7700 (non-K) says that it tops out at 2400 on the memory bus.
It can't make use of higher ability of the 2600
I thought that as well I bought an Acer TC-780-UR12 Changed Everthing Except CPU and Ram. my BIOS says i am running 2666mhz ram as well as my task manager. So how do I determine what it is "ACTUALLY" Utilizing, and why would Acer pair an I7-7700 (non "k") with 2666mhz Ram (2x 8gb sticks)??

TRENDING THREADS