max cpu on kx7-333r?

Boon

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Hi there,

I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
AMD XP 2000+ CPU
512mb pc2700 ram
GF4 Ti4400 128MB.

What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.

Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a faster cpu than
my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better framerates in games?

TIA for any info

"boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
> AMD XP 2000+ CPU
> 512mb pc2700 ram
> GF4 Ti4400 128MB.
>
> What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.
>
> Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a faster cpu
than
> my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better framerates in games?
>
> TIA for any info

My daughter has a KX7-333 (non)raid and ISTR the max CPU is a XP2600.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

"boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
> AMD XP 2000+ CPU
> 512mb pc2700 ram
> GF4 Ti4400 128MB.
>
> What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.
>
> Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a faster cpu
than
> my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better framerates in games?
>
> TIA for any info
Maybe if you look at the specs on the Abit website you can find out?

"boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi there,
>
> I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
> AMD XP 2000+ CPU
> 512mb pc2700 ram
> GF4 Ti4400 128MB.
>
> What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.
>
> Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a faster cpu
than
> my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better framerates in games?
>
> TIA for any info

I'm not exactly sure about your MB, but considering that it has 333mhz bus,
I see no reason why it wouldn't support CPUs up to XP 3000+, which is the
last AMD XP processor running on 333mhz bus (you might need a BIOS-update
though). It's doesn't pay off to buy XP 3000+ for your machine. It would be
better (if your mb DOES support 3000+) to buy a XP 2700+ and overclock it to
XP 3000+. I wouldn't advise you to try to overclock your current processor
even to 2200+, cause XP 2000+ processor is like a "black sheep in family".
It get extremly overheated even with slightest overclocking, unlike any
other XP processor - both below or above. I don't know why - but it's just
simply that way.

Anyway, back to upgrading CPU - if I was you, I wouldn't invest in a faster
processor just yet.
I would rather buy a faster graph. card. Either a FX 5700Ultra or FX
5900-non Ultra.
In general, a fast graph card is more important then a fast processor when
it comes to frame rates. There are few games with badly optimised engines,
like 'Deus Ex 2', which demand extremly fast CPU for decent frame rates, but
generally - these games are very few. 'Vietcong' is another example. Not
even with top-end system, people are that satisfied with the frame rates.

With that CPU of yours, and with a slightly faster graph. card (and perhaps
a small RAM upgrade as well) your system would be still up-to-date for quite
of more time.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"MheAd" <cosibeg@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> skrev i meddelandet
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
> > AMD XP 2000+ CPU
> > 512mb pc2700 ram
> > GF4 Ti4400 128MB.
> >
> > What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.
> >
> > Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a faster cpu
> than
> > my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better framerates in games?
> >
> > TIA for any info
>
> I'm not exactly sure about your MB, but considering that it has 333mhz
bus,
> I see no reason why it wouldn't support CPUs up to XP 3000+, which is the
> last AMD XP processor running on 333mhz bus (you might need a BIOS-update
> though). It's doesn't pay off to buy XP 3000+ for your machine. It would
be
> better (if your mb DOES support 3000+) to buy a XP 2700+ and overclock it
> XP 3000+. I wouldn't advise you to try to overclock your current processor
> even to 2200+, cause XP 2000+ processor is like a "black sheep in family".
> It get extremly overheated even with slightest overclocking, unlike any
> other XP processor - both below or above. I don't know why - but it's just
> simply that way.
>
> Anyway, back to upgrading CPU - if I was you, I wouldn't invest in a
faster
> processor just yet.
> I would rather buy a faster graph. card. Either a FX 5700Ultra or FX
> 5900-non Ultra.
> In general, a fast graph card is more important then a fast processor when
> it comes to frame rates. There are few games with badly optimised engines,
> like 'Deus Ex 2', which demand extremly fast CPU for decent frame rates,
but
> generally - these games are very few. 'Vietcong' is another example. Not
> even with top-end system, people are that satisfied with the frame rates.
>
> With that CPU of yours, and with a slightly faster graph. card (and
perhaps
> a small RAM upgrade as well) your system would be still up-to-date for
quite
> of more time.

It doesn't have an FSB of 333, the memory is 333, FSB is 266.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

"boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
> AMD XP 2000+ CPU
> 512mb pc2700 ram
> GF4 Ti4400 128MB.
>
> What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.
>
> Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a faster cpu
than
> my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better framerates in games?
>
> TIA for any info

2600+ CPU with a 266FSB (if you can find one)

BUT: AthlonXP-M chips will in theory work in there upto around 3000+
(www.overclockers.co.uk has some in stock i believe)

hamman

amby

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

from:
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=49&catid=3

Memory
Four 184-pin DIMM sockets support PC1600/PC2100/PC2700 DDR DRAM
modules
Supports 6 banks up to 3GB DRAMs for unbuffered DDR/SDR modules
Supports 8 banks up to 3.5GB DRAMs for registered DDR/SDR modules

amby

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:22:01 +0000, boon wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
> AMD XP 2000+ CPU
> 512mb pc2700 ram
> GF4 Ti4400 128MB.
>
> What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.

While not official, it will support a FSB up to about 180MHz. So the
fastest your boad could run a cpu would be 24x180 or about 4320MHz.

> Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a faster cpu
> than my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better framerates in games?

Faster cpu would probably help a little, but a faster video card would do
more I think. I'm into games much. As fro the CPU to upgrade to, a 2600+
Barton core would be the simplest, but you could go exotic with maybe a
mobil or 2800+MP (Barton with 133MHz FSB). Just too many choices.:)

Oh, if your 2000+ is a Tbred B core, you could just speed it up to 2600+
by changing the FSB to 166Mhz. Must change divider to 5:2:1 and make sure
your ram settings are right.

amby

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

My bad - I was thinking RAM - :)

amby wrote:
> from:
> http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=49&catid=3
>
> Memory
> Four 184-pin DIMM sockets support PC1600/PC2100/PC2700 DDR DRAM
> modules
> Supports 6 banks up to 3GB DRAMs for unbuffered DDR/SDR modules
> Supports 8 banks up to 3.5GB DRAMs for registered DDR/SDR
modules

> amby
>
> boon wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
>> AMD XP 2000+ CPU
>> 512mb pc2700 ram
>> GF4 Ti4400 128MB.
>>
>> What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.
>>
>> Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a
faster
>> cpu than my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better
framerates in
>> games?
>>
>> TIA for any info

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

I am running a barton 2600 in mine. 1GB DDR1700 (512x2), as I cant run
stable with any more than that.

i manually set the FSB to 166, and kicked the divider to 5:4:1 and its all
happy. It is very , very picky about putting a lot of ram in it though (at
least mine is).

So, you should be able to run ANY 333FSB chip in this board. The bios doesnt
recognise the CPUID, but it does sense the multiplier and give you the
correct speed.

NuTs

"NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> skrev i meddelandet

> So, you should be able to run ANY 333FSB chip in this board. The bios
doesnt
> recognise the CPUID, but it does sense the multiplier and give you the
> correct speed.

Interesting - the thing that you can use a 333FSB chip in a 266FSB mb.
Does this technically mean that I could use an 400fsb Athlon in my MSI KT3
Ultra2 mb, which supports 333FSB (Barton 3000+ is the highest according to
manual) ?

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Phil said...

> It doesn't have an FSB of 333, the memory is 333, FSB is 266.

That is NOT correct. Both the memory AND the FSB can be set to 166/333.

My XP2100+ is running with the default multiplier, and a 333 FSB, making
it equivalent to an XP2700+.

--
My email address is BillG at Royal dot Org

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:14:21 +0200, MheAd wrote:

> "NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> skrev i meddelandet
>
>> So, you should be able to run ANY 333FSB chip in this board. The bios
> doesnt
>> recognise the CPUID, but it does sense the multiplier and give you the
>> correct speed.
>
> Interesting - the thing that you can use a 333FSB chip in a 266FSB mb.
> Does this technically mean that I could use an 400fsb Athlon in my MSI KT3
> Ultra2 mb, which supports 333FSB (Barton 3000+ is the highest according to
> manual) ?

No. The KT333 chipset doesn't have a divider for a 200MHz FSB. Highest it
will reliably go is about 185MHz.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Nut,

DDR1700?? Dang, isn't that 100 MHz FSB? Seems like somebody said
something about shutting off either "Enhance For Benchmark" or "CPU
Fast Command Decode" else their bus would only do 100 MHz. Do you
have these disabled? You might want to try a google search along
these lines. http://groups.google.com

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:36:38 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
<nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:

>I am running a barton 2600 in mine. 1GB DDR1700 (512x2), as I cant run
>stable with any more than that.
>
>i manually set the FSB to 166, and kicked the divider to 5:4:1 and its all
>happy. It is very , very picky about putting a lot of ram in it though (at
>least mine is).
>
>So, you should be able to run ANY 333FSB chip in this board. The bios doesnt
>recognise the CPUID, but it does sense the multiplier and give you the
>correct speed.
>
>NuTs
>
>"boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
>> AMD XP 2000+ CPU
>> 512mb pc2700 ram
>> GF4 Ti4400 128MB.
>>
>> What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.
>>
>> Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a faster cpu
>than
>> my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better framerates in games?
>>
>> TIA for any info

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

i hope you were being funny, forrest.

Its a typo. I meant to write PC2700

NuTs

"- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
> Nut,
>
> DDR1700?? Dang, isn't that 100 MHz FSB? Seems like somebody said
> something about shutting off either "Enhance For Benchmark" or "CPU
> Fast Command Decode" else their bus would only do 100 MHz. Do you
> have these disabled? You might want to try a google search along
> these lines. http://groups.google.com
>
> Forrest
>
> Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
> http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/
>

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:36:38 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
> <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
>
> >I am running a barton 2600 in mine. 1GB DDR1700 (512x2), as I cant run
> >stable with any more than that.
> >
> >i manually set the FSB to 166, and kicked the divider to 5:4:1 and its
all
> >happy. It is very , very picky about putting a lot of ram in it though
(at
> >least mine is).
> >
> >So, you should be able to run ANY 333FSB chip in this board. The bios
doesnt
> >recognise the CPUID, but it does sense the multiplier and give you the
> >correct speed.
> >
> >NuTs
> >
> >"boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote in message
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I have an ABit Kx7-333r mobo
> >> AMD XP 2000+ CPU
> >> 512mb pc2700 ram
> >> GF4 Ti4400 128MB.
> >>
> >> What is the maximum XP processor the KX7-333r can take?.
> >>
> >> Also do you think its actually worth it for me to install a faster cpu
> >than
> >> my XP 2000+. Will I see any smoother better framerates in games?
> >>
> >> TIA for any info

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"DrWho" <a@b.net> wrote in message
> Phil said...
> >
> > It doesn't have an FSB of 333, the memory is 333, FSB is 266.
> >

> That is NOT correct. Both the memory AND the FSB can be set to 166/333.
>
> My XP2100+ is running with the default multiplier, and a 333 FSB, making
> it equivalent to an XP2700+.

Officially supports:

CPU
Support AMD Athlon XP 1500+ ~ 2100+ or future Socket A Processors based on
200/266 MHz (100MHz/133MHz Double Data Rate)
Support AMD Athlon 700MHz ~ 1.4GHz or future Socket A Processors based on
200/266 MHz (100MHz/133MHz Double Data Rate)
Support AMD Duron 600MHz ~ 1.2GHz or future Socket A Processors based on 200
MHz (100MHz Double Data Rate)

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KX7-333&fMTYPE=Socket%20A&pPRODINFO=Specifications

Although some can reach 333 at a stable rate, it's not officially
supported/guaranteed to work at all.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Phil said...

> "DrWho" <a@b.net> wrote in message
> > Phil said...
> > >
> > > It doesn't have an FSB of 333, the memory is 333, FSB is 266.
> > >

> > That is NOT correct. Both the memory AND the FSB can be set to 166/333.
> >
> > My XP2100+ is running with the default multiplier, and a 333 FSB, making
> > it equivalent to an XP2700+.
> >

> Officially supports:
>
> CPU
> Support AMD Athlon XP 1500+ ~ 2100+ or future Socket A Processors based on
> 200/266 MHz (100MHz/133MHz Double Data Rate)
> Support AMD Athlon 700MHz ~ 1.4GHz or future Socket A Processors based on
> 200/266 MHz (100MHz/133MHz Double Data Rate)
> Support AMD Duron 600MHz ~ 1.2GHz or future Socket A Processors based on 200
> MHz (100MHz Double Data Rate)
>
> http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KX7-333&fMTYPE=Socket%20A&pPRODINFO=Specifications
>
> Although some can reach 333 at a stable rate, it's not officially
> supported/guaranteed to work at all.

OK. Whoever initially needed this information can go with what Phil is
telling you. Or, you can read EVERYONE else's comments and realize that
board was designed to run the FSB of 166/333 and higher, and does so
perfectly, while keeping everything running within spec.

The bios settings allow you to independently set the FSB and/or the
memory bus to 166/333, and then set the ratio to 5:2:1. That will run
any 333 CPU within the specs of the processor, and all the pci and agp
cards will also be running in spec. There is no danger, nor doubt.
The board does it, and it does it perfectly. Everytime.

Take Phil at his word, or just put a 333 CPU in the board, configure it,
and run it.

--
My email address is BillG at Royal dot Org

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Ahhh 2700, that sounds much better...

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:29:45 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"