[SOLVED] Max distance between PC and VR?

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hi all

So I just got my valve index in the post.
I've been trying different games and so far I'm still pretty much in disbelief at how amazing everything looks.
Half Life Alyx is breathtaking.
My question, is there a theoretical limit to how far from the pc you can set up vr?
Let's assume you have cable extensions for the headset.
Because presumably the base stations only communicate with the headset, and the headset communicates with the pc via usb and gpu cables.
So, if you had say 20m of cable, what's to stop you from launching vr on the pc then taking the headset and base stations into the back yard?

Hi all

So I just got my valve index in the post.
I've been trying different games and so far I'm still pretty much in disbelief at how amazing everything looks.
Half Life Alyx is breathtaking.
My question, is there a theoretical limit to how far from the pc you can set up vr?
Let's assume you have cable extensions for the headset.
Because presumably the base stations only communicate with the headset, and the headset communicates with the pc via usb and gpu cables.
So, if you had say 20m of cable, what's to stop you from launching vr on the pc then taking the headset and base stations into the back yard?

Room scale has limits due to the base stations. But more importantly your headset has a length limit of 10 feet. This is considered the practical limit for usb 3.