Max download speed vs recommended for internet plan

MarvelK

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Hi,

I have a Arris Surfboard SB6141 modem and I recently upgraded my Comcast plan to 250 Mbps. However, when I connected my laptop to modem, I was only getting 173 Mbps on speed test. I called Comcast support and they told me my Modem is not capable of handling 250 Mbps. So, I am not sureif I need to upgrade my modem or Comcast just blaming my modem.

The other thing that confuses me is on SB6141's product description it states:

"8 Download Channels and 4 Upload Channels capable of up to 343 Mbps download and 131 upload speeds. Recommended for Internet Plans up to 100 Mbps."

Now, modem always connects to ISP so what does it mean that it has download speed of 343 while recommended Internet plan is 100? What is the point of gig port of it has these limits?

If max download speed is 343 then why they recommend 100? Do I need to upgrade Modem? If so, is SB6183 a good option for 250 Mbps plan? I would like to keep the cost under $75 so please suggest any other. Or I can just buy one of those gig modem in case I decide to go for 1g plan.

Thanks

Solution
This is one of those look at the ISP list. They will tell you which modem work on what plans.

Although the modems are rated to run a certain speeds many times the ISP cable infrastructure is not good enough to support the fastest encoding. They many time run more channels at lower data density to get the same speeds. This is partially why many ISP ask where you live and the list of modems is sometime different because of the difference in the cabling to peoples house.

This is one of those questions really only the cable company can answer.

To get the gigabit speed you need one of the newest docsis 3.1 modems. They are actually rated to run over 2gbit but again the ISP do not run them at their maximum capacity to improve...
This is one of those look at the ISP list. They will tell you which modem work on what plans.

Although the modems are rated to run a certain speeds many times the ISP cable infrastructure is not good enough to support the fastest encoding. They many time run more channels at lower data density to get the same speeds. This is partially why many ISP ask where you live and the list of modems is sometime different because of the difference in the cabling to peoples house.

This is one of those questions really only the cable company can answer.

To get the gigabit speed you need one of the newest docsis 3.1 modems. They are actually rated to run over 2gbit but again the ISP do not run them at their maximum capacity to improve network stability.

Solution

Yup, this doesn't make much sense, but vendors alway quote you theoretical (under idea conditions) speed while in real life..... maybe that's the way they are telling you, yeah 343, but real life 100 more like it. Exactly what this modem can do u can simply Google and read for yourself what real life speed people are getting.

ISP saying your modem is not good enough? so what modem did they say is good for you then?

If you buy one of those nifty DOSIS 3.1, then you are all set then for now and future but be aware ISP typically have a list of approved modems, don't know how happy they are you using one not on their list.

there two issue. one is the chipset in the modem you have. the modem vendor will say it has a maz speed of x in lab testings. cable vendors in real wold will find that it not up to it max speed and there boot info file for that modem may limit it to x speed. the newest 3.1 modems are full duplex units. make sure you have one of those.

MarvelK

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Ok, so looks like I need to buy a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. It is going to be ~$150 which exceeds my budget but I get it a good future proof option in case I later decide to go with 1 gig plan.

@jsmithepa, ISP did say my existing modem is not good enough for this plan but did not suggest any other. They just told me to get a modem that is capable of 250 speed.

TRENDING THREADS