Max Hard Drive Size ?

Been ahwile. I have a homebuilt box with an Asus p2b-f mobo, Award
Modular BIOS v4.51PG flashed with ASUS P2B-F ACPI BIOS Revision 1013,
Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3 chipset, running Win 2k sp4. My 60GB drive
crashed and I put in a new 120GB drive but the BIOS could not detect
ANYTHING. It seems to hang while trying to detect it but never comes
back with any numbers...

Cant find much on this old board at the Asus site. There is an AWARD
site but that inks to some esupport site that offers a BIOS upgrade
for 60 bucks lol!! But they also said my BIOS could only support up
to 32 GB drives and like I said I had a 60GB drive in there that
worked fine with no added disk SW, ie no EZ drive stuff needed. So I
wonder about there so called upgrade.

I understand there is a 137 GB size barrier for older machines, but
the drive is only 120GB.

I have stuck an old 20GB drive in there and it autodetected
immediately and works fine. Just wondering how large I can go. I
know 60 worked with no added disk sw (ie no ez drive stuff).

Thanks to this group for any help. Its been a long time since I
posted in here but this group is a great resource and helped me build
this machine several years ago.

Dirk

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:12:51 -0600, El_Crushbo
<noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Been ahwile. I have a homebuilt box with an Asus p2b-f mobo, Award
>Modular BIOS v4.51PG flashed with ASUS P2B-F ACPI BIOS Revision 1013,
>Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3 chipset, running Win 2k sp4. My 60GB drive
>crashed and I put in a new 120GB drive but the BIOS could not detect
>ANYTHING. It seems to hang while trying to detect it but never comes
>back with any numbers...
>
>Cant find much on this old board at the Asus site. There is an AWARD
>site but that inks to some esupport site that offers a BIOS upgrade
>for 60 bucks lol!! But they also said my BIOS could only support up
>to 32 GB drives and like I said I had a 60GB drive in there that
>worked fine with no added disk SW, ie no EZ drive stuff needed. So I
>wonder about there so called upgrade.
>
>I understand there is a 137 GB size barrier for older machines, but
>the drive is only 120GB.
>
>I have stuck an old 20GB drive in there and it autodetected
>immediately and works fine. Just wondering how large I can go. I
>know 60 worked with no added disk sw (ie no ez drive stuff).
>
>Thanks to this group for any help. Its been a long time since I
>posted in here but this group is a great resource and helped me build
>this machine several years ago.
>
>Dirk

Presuming your old drive did in fact work with no overlay
(which might've been installed transparently, without your
knowledge if you'd used the drive manufacturer's setup
floppy to set up the drive), then the board should indeed
support up to 137GB. You might try updating the m'board's
bios if a newer is available, and recheck the drive jumpers.

If no other resolution you should consider adding an ATA133
PCI controller card, especially since your board only
supports ATA33, which is a significant bottleneck to a
modern drive.

> Been ahwile. I have a homebuilt box with an Asus p2b-f mobo, Award
> Modular BIOS v4.51PG flashed with ASUS P2B-F ACPI BIOS Revision 1013,
> Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3 chipset, running Win 2k sp4. My 60GB drive
> crashed and I put in a new 120GB drive but the BIOS could not detect
> ANYTHING. It seems to hang while trying to detect it but never comes
> back with any numbers...

Might as well just go buy an ATA 100/133 card. They work great,
with no fussing, and the price has come down on them in the past
year or so. You'll be able to plug in four mega-drives and store
the Internet locally.

Howdy!

"El_Crushbo" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Been ahwile. I have a homebuilt box with an Asus p2b-f mobo, Award
> Modular BIOS v4.51PG flashed with ASUS P2B-F ACPI BIOS Revision 1013,
> Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3 chipset, running Win 2k sp4. My 60GB drive
> crashed and I put in a new 120GB drive but the BIOS could not detect
> ANYTHING. It seems to hang while trying to detect it but never comes
> back with any numbers...

That's because it's past that board's 64G (68 decimal G) limit.

> Cant find much on this old board at the Asus site. There is an AWARD
> site but that inks to some esupport site that offers a BIOS upgrade
> for 60 bucks lol!! But they also said my BIOS could only support up
> to 32 GB drives and like I said I had a 60GB drive in there that
> worked fine with no added disk SW, ie no EZ drive stuff needed. So I
> wonder about there so called upgrade.
>
> I understand there is a 137 GB size barrier for older machines, but
> the drive is only 120GB.

There were BIOSes broken at 512M, 1G, 2G, 4G, 8G, 16G, 32G, 64G, and
128G all.

And some broken below 512M - but those are even more ancient B)

> I have stuck an old 20GB drive in there and it autodetected
> immediately and works fine. Just wondering how large I can go. I
> know 60 worked with no added disk sw (ie no ez drive stuff).

64G.

> Thanks to this group for any help. Its been a long time since I
> posted in here but this group is a great resource and helped me build
> this machine several years ago.

NP.

RwP

El_Crushbo wrote:

> I have a homebuilt box with an Asus p2b-f mobo, Award
> Modular BIOS v4.51PG flashed with ASUS P2B-F ACPI BIOS
> Revision 1013, Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3 chipset,
> My 60GB drive crashed and I put in a new 120GB drive
> but the BIOS could not detect ANYTHING.

> I understand there is a 137 GB size barrier for older machines, but
> the drive is only 120GB.

www.wimsbios.com has some information about this and also some people
in the forums who know how to patch Award v. 4.51 to extend its HD
limit from 33GB or 65GB to 137GB. They patched three of mine, and you
may be able to find a patched one for your mobo at
www.jan-hill.com/bios.html or http://wims.rainbow-software.org/

If you ever need a PCI IDE controller for an HD bigger than 137GB, the
$13 ones from www.acortech.com (use coupon code "FREESHIPPING") seem to
work well and also support RAID.