max. harddisk size on a CMD 649 controller

Hi all,

2 years ago, I bought a CMD 649 harddisk controller for PCI. It is
pretty no-name and I found nothing about it in the internet.

Does anyone happen to know the maximum size of harddisks this controller
supports? It is a ATA-100 controller, I don't know if that might help.

Thanks,
Werner

---- reply to werner instead of devnull ----

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:00:16 +0100, Werner Riebesel <devnull@jongl.de>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>2 years ago, I bought a CMD 649 harddisk controller for PCI. It is
>pretty no-name and I found nothing about it in the internet.
>
>Does anyone happen to know the maximum size of harddisks this controller
>supports? It is a ATA-100 controller, I don't know if that might help.
>
>Thanks,
>Werner
>
>---- reply to werner instead of devnull ----

Try here:
http://www.siliconimage.com/products/sii0649.asp

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

I've found several reviews of PCI IDE cards with the CMD 649 controller
chip.
None of them said anything about 48-bit addressing or support for drives
larger then 137GB.
So I would guess that the max hard drive size is 137GBs

"Werner Riebesel" <devnull@jongl.de> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> 2 years ago, I bought a CMD 649 harddisk controller for PCI. It is pretty
> no-name and I found nothing about it in the internet.
>
> Does anyone happen to know the maximum size of harddisks this controller
> supports? It is a ATA-100 controller, I don't know if that might help.
>
> Thanks,
> Werner
>
> ---- reply to werner instead of devnull ----

I'm surprised you found any. They changed the name from CMD to SiI years ago.

Their current chip with LBA-48 support is SiI 680A.

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've found several reviews of PCI IDE cards with the CMD 649 controller
> chip.
> None of them said anything about 48-bit addressing or support for drives
> larger then 137GB.
> So I would guess that the max hard drive size is 137GBs

Thanks (a bit late) for your answers.

The link to the siliconimage homepage was interesting, because even
there I could find 2 different "facts": It is able and it is not able to
support drives with more than 137 GB. My emailed question was not answered.
So I tried and bought a 160 GB drive. While booting, the CMD-BIOS
displays about 31 GB, but formatted with Linux 2.4.19 it shows the
correct size.
I wrote the drive completely full to be sure that no modulo 128 GB
effect takes place, and it did not.
So for me it works with 160 GB.

Werner

Werner Riebesel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 2 years ago, I bought a CMD 649 harddisk controller for PCI. It is
> pretty no-name and I found nothing about it in the internet.
>
> Does anyone happen to know the maximum size of harddisks this controller
> supports? It is a ATA-100 controller, I don't know if that might help.
>
> Thanks,
> Werner
>
> ---- reply to werner instead of devnull ----

TRENDING THREADS