Question Max memory of motherboard

Feb 19, 2019
Take a motherboard that has 4 DIMMs and supports up to 32gb ram. Does that mean you would have to use all 4 DIMMs at 8gb each, or would it also accept 2x16gb modules?

I need a motherboard that will support 16gb sticks of ECC ddr3 that won't cost an arm and a leg.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What is the make/model of the motherboard in question? What it will accept in terms of compatible memory can vary greatly.

ECC support puts you into a workstation/server class motherboard (most likely). What is the exact model of the memory you are referring to? Since you are inquiring about 16GB memory sticks, it is most likely registered memory, definitely putting you into a workstation/server mobo.

Do you already have a CPU?

Feb 19, 2019
16gb Crucial Ddr3 10600 1333mhz ECC Registered Ct204872bq1339.36fd

Yes they are registered.

I was looking at AM3+ motherboards. Some of those support ECC. I do not have a cpu yet.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019
For example this one supports ECC ram up to 32gb, but it has 4 DIMMs, so i don't know if it will work with my 2x 16gb modules.

Oh it looks like it only supports unregistered memory. I guess I'm out of luck then. I made a mistake. I thought this ram was cheap on ebay. Maybe they'll accept a return.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
For example this one supports ECC ram up to 32gb, but it has 4 DIMMs, so i don't know if it will work with my 2x 16gb modules.

I took a quick look through the memory QVLs for that motherboard and saw no instances of 16gb compatible memory specified. I think you'll have to look at other options.

Are you trying to build a server or just recycle/reuse some available high capacity memory in a gaming rig?

Feb 19, 2019
I'm trying to build a ZFS fileserver and want to take every precaution to ensure the integrity of the data. CPU power is not a high priority, but my old server is being bottlenecked by a lack of ram. I also would like a board that isn't huge. Most of the server boards are so big. I don't need 2 cpus.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019
Yes I need both CPU and motherboard. I was hoping to get something cheap and used off ebay. I'd like to spend as little as possible. If I have to pay $300 just for a motherboard this project is going to have to go on hold.

Feb 19, 2019
You are correct. It says 1, 2, 4, or 8gb sticks. Thanks for finding that. Now I know.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, so not many craigslist options. Anyway I've already got the ram, and I'd like a system to have a lot as it will processing some ram intensive tasks.

Feb 19, 2019
$175 isnt that bad. It has the 12 sata ports at least, so I wouldn't have to buy the SAS controller like I was planning to. I think I'll just buy this one and pick up a refurbished Xeon. They're super cheap on newegg.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 19, 2019
Well I ordered anyway. Only $30 shipping and $45 total. Hopefully it's a legit site and I don't have to cancel my credit card.

So they tried to pull a fast one and told me it's actually 150, not 15, which makes sense. But I don't trust them.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019
So the motherboard has been working great in chassis 1, running with PSU 1. I tried moving it into an old desktop chassis I have lying around which is bigger and can accomodate more HDDs, call it chassis 2. But the board refuses to boot from this chassis. It gives several power related beep codes, including:

1-5-4-4Power control faultPower good assertion timeout - Power unit sensors report soft power control failure offset.

and

1-5-1-2VR Watchdog TimerVR controller DC power on sequence not completed in time.

I tried with PSU2 and PSU3 and eventually tried PSU 1 from chassis 1. None of them worked. But then I took the motherboard out of chassis 2 and put it back in chassis 1 with PSU 1 and it booted immediately.

I have had no other issues running a regular old desktop from chassis 2. Is there something special about the server board that might make it reject this case? Perhaps it has more stringent power requirements and the case's grounding is not as good? Chassis 2 does have anodized aluminum everywhere which is probably not as conductive as the bare aluminum chassis 1. I wanted to buy a server case eventually anyway, but now I'm worried.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the makes/models of the various parts you have been swapping around?

Be careful, in particular, with the I/O panels (a.k.a. ATX Plate) where the ports on the motherboard stick out the back of the case. Make sure nothing (like the grounding "fingers" around USB ports) gets stuck into a port causing a short. Also, double check for any extraneous motherboard stand-offs that you don't need, but could cause a short.

Feb 19, 2019
Everything looks pretty clean. It just refused to boot. The chassis is anodized aluminum though, including the built in standoffs which as I understand is not conductive. I don't understand it. I've had a lot of PC issues over the years, but never have I seen a computer case being the cause of a failed boot. But here I am back in the original case and it finally booted again. I'm just sad I wasted all day and accomplished nothing.

Feb 19, 2019
I tried a Corsair ax1200, and an evga 1000W psu. Right now I'm back to my generic little no brand 400W psu.

The case it wouldn't boot in is a Corsair 750D, and I tried all 3 power supplies and reseated the motherboard. Now it's back in my HTPC horizontal chassis which also has no brand but is bare aluminum instead of anodized everywhere. It's some cheap Chinese crap I picked up on amazon or ebay years ago.

I've had all kinds of trouble with Corsair stuff over the years, so it's not surprising if their case is causing issues. Everything I've ever bought from them ran into issues.

Last edited: