Max Memory per Slot GA-790XTA-UD4

danseaview

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Ok, really looking for a quick and concise answer here as I'm purchasing form a sale that ends in two days. I'm currently using a GA-790XTA-UD4 with 4 sticks of Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR3 1600MHz RAM. I now need more so am pulling the old Crucial ram and planning on getting (Link). Which is 2 8GB sticks of Kingston DDR3 1600MHz Ram. Now here's the part I'm unsure of on the Gigabyte website the max ram allowed for the board is 16GB but is that 16GB in 4 sticks of 4GB with a max of 4GB per slot or will 2 8GB sticks work in two slots.

Essentially my question is What is the maximum amount of ram per slot with a GA-790XTA-UD4?

Thx for your replys I might have to suck it up and pay a little more for 4 4GB sticks but people say it can be weird with 4 sticks and i had a little trouble myself with 4 so i would preffer not to.

Solution
Everything I can find says a max of 4GB per slot (which makes sense, since it's 16GB max. It wouldn't make any sense at all for a 4 slot 16GB max board to be able to use 8GB modules).

danseaview

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Wow that was a really quick reply and i was coming to that conclusion myself just wanted to check before getting more expensive ram noow it comes down to what ram to buy with a $100 budget
thinking of the Patriot Viper 3 series link
Any suggestions ?

They're fine, I just don't personally like the heatspreader design. I'm not much for fancy heatspreaders, myself (even though I have a Ripjawas X kit) because they don't really serve any purpose. DDR3 RAM is just as happy without a heatspreader at all, so they're just eye candy.