Max number of files under a folder

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23skJ70$OFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Ray <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> had this to say:

> Is there any max number of files under a folder in NTFS system?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

This one took a bit of looking about...

There is no limit to the number of files in a folder on an NTFS formatted
drive. The maximum file size is 16 TB - 64 kb for some odd reason...

Here:

Reviewing File Server Limits; Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/sdccc_fsv_duel.asp

Galen

Hmmm - I have to ask why this question is being put in a newsgroup devoted
to an OS that doesn't natively support NTFS??

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

> In news:%23skJ70$OFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Ray <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> had this to say:

>> Is there any max number of files under a folder in NTFS system?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray
>
> This one took a bit of looking about...
>
> There is no limit to the number of files in a folder on an NTFS formatted
> drive. The maximum file size is 16 TB - 64 kb for some odd reason...
>
> Here:
>
> Reviewing File Server Limits; Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit:
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/sdccc_fsv_duel.asp
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:u63Z$HCPFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> had this to say:

> Hmmm - I have to ask why this question is being put in a newsgroup
> devoted to an OS that doesn't natively support NTFS??

Buggered if I know but I did have a good time looking that one up. Maybe
they're thinking about upgrading to XP? I didn't bother to ask myself why.
Somethings I just don't want to know. <g>

Galen

Why ask 'why' ... when 'how' is so much more fun?

;-)

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> Hmmm - I have to ask why this question is being put in a newsgroup devoted
> to an OS that doesn't natively support NTFS??

....trouble is, that "How" frequently ends up as "Ow!"
:)

--

> Why ask 'why' ... when 'how' is so much more fun?
>
> ;-)

> * In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
> * http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Hmmm - I have to ask why this question is being put in a newsgroup
>> devoted to an OS that doesn't natively support NTFS??

<lol> Tried it have you then Richard <vbg>
Joan

Richard G. Harper wrote:
> Why ask 'why' ... when 'how' is so much more fun?
>
> ;-)

<lol> And we all know that feeling <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> ....trouble is, that "How" frequently ends up as "Ow!"
> :)

I rarely recommend something that I haven't tried myself first. :)

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> <lol> Tried it have you then Richard <vbg>
> Joan
>
> Richard G. Harper wrote:
>> Why ask 'why' ... when 'how' is so much more fun?

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Please accept my apology of putting a question in a wrong newsgroup. I
should put it in Windows XP one.

Ray

"Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
> Is there any max number of files under a folder in NTFS system?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

No problem, Ray - I hope you got some enlightenment from the ensuing
discussion!<g>

--

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Please accept my apology of putting a question in a wrong newsgroup. I
> should put it in Windows XP one.
>
> Ray
>
> "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any max number of files under a folder in NTFS system?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray

TRENDING THREADS