Max Overclock For AMD FX-4300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvix

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I have been trying to get the maximum overclock out of my AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core CPU. Now, I saw a video on YouTube where the guy overclocked his FX-4300 to 4.8 GHz. If you can add properly, that means he was able to clock it a full GHz higher than the default 3.8! I haven't even been able to run it stable at 4.6 GHz let alone 4.8GHz so I'm not sure how he got it to clock that high and remain stable. It ALMOST runs 100% stable at 4.6 GHz but after a 6 hour Prime95 test, mine failed around 5 hours 15 minutes with it giving me the "Illegal Sumout Error" which leads me to believe that the best I can get out of it is 4.5 GHz. I am also aware that this error is mainly caused by not enough voltage so if anyone knows what I should have the voltage at to get it to run stable at 4.6GHz, please let me know!

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone else has this processor and has gotten a higher GHz than 4.5 (while remaining stable) and if you have, please tell me what you clocked it to and how you got it to run stable at that GHz!

The max OC I have gotten out of this CPU:
4.5 GHz: Achieved with a multiplier of 22.5x and a voltage of 1.3125
My cores run at 52c - 55c on full load while it sits between 30c - 35c on idle.
I use a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler
And a Corsair CX500 (500w) PSU

Solution
With it's poor power design and below average thermal design , I recommend no overclocking.

That board wasn't designed to be overclocked.

Plus: The PSU is cheap with poor capacitors and shouldn't be stressed.

Silvix

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I've had it clocked to 4.5 GHz since February with no issues though. I am going to get a new board here soon. I'm not so much asking for this specific machine but I was curious on the max clock you can get with this processor.

Silvix

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Yeah that board is a work-of-art if I do say so myself. I will most likely purchase this board in the near future. Thank you very much for the support!

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Its important to remember as well that just because someone else achieved a stable over clock on a processor model doesn't mean you will even with the same basic hardware as different processors even from the same batch will get slightly different over clocking results. What someone else achieved should be viewed as possible not certain. In your case changing boards and gettg the better voltage control with better components and bios will probably get you and extra 200 to 400 megahertz.

David Guadagno

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015

Possible have any more details vCore settings or xml overdrive - screenshots so I can figure out..tnx in advance

Miroslaw

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015

on this MB it's maximum,i suppose.Try with any 970 chipset or better.Check voltage section.GL

david_229

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
I got mine to 4.8ghz stable with the same cooler make sure you have set your H/T to 2600 (which is the default speed for AMD's) and change the north bridge to 2200mhz
leave smart fan controls on enabled
C1E Disabled
C6 state Disabled
APM on Auto
Cool And Quiet Auto (I found having smart fans on auto kept my system cooler then with it
blowing a gail also with APM it lowers the frequency during low to no usage)
the rest of it is tinkering
as for the multiplers i did not alter this and left it default
i know this is an old post but the chip is still in circulation and thought it might help someone out
Pc Specs
gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3
AMD FX 4300
Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo
16 gig Ram 1333mhz
gt720 MSI Edition 2 GB
(ok not the best but does me)

should just add that i ran prime 95 for over 12 hours no issues and temps reached a max of 55c

manigma

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

Did you overclock with FSB? Please share your other bios settings like voltages. I have the same cpu (OC@4.4 Ghz) and same MoBo as yours want to try 4.8 Ghz. Thanks!

manigma

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

I sold my FX 4300 last month but before that I managed to get it stable at 4.8Ghz (4770 Mhz exact) with 1.356V.

My settings were:
Multiplier x22.5
FSB: 210
CPU NB: 2100Mhz
HTL: 2100Mhz
DDR3: 1680Mhz @ 1.510V
CPU NB VID: 1.150V
CPU Voltage: 1.2850V in bios (reaches 1.356V max in HW Monitor)

CPU Full load temp 50°C (Thermal Margin 20°C)

Cooler Master Hyper 103 heatsink
Gigabyte GA78LMT-S2 (3+1 phase)

Goran Petric

Honorable
Jul 27, 2014
Why are you saying Asus M5A78L-M LX is a bad board? I just build the system to play around with, i have that same motherboard with fx 4300with stock cooler, i just started overclcoking it and it is stable at 4,6 Ghz cpu temp 56*c and motherboard temp around 30, with Aida64 and hw info on, just look at asus product page of this mbo, it has plenty of oc and overvoltage protections advertised. I'm going to push it as far as it goes and report back. Peopel are talking out of their asses when saying this board is not meant for overclocking and will catch on fire, when it clearly is even advertised as such.

Goran Petric

Honorable
Jul 27, 2014
Its seems 4,6Ghz is max stable for this cpu, i can get it to boot at 4,8Ghz easy, but it would crash at stability test, so 4,6Ghz was max it would complete cinebench without any cores getting stuck, and run Aida64 stress test just fine with ALL temperatures (including mbo temps) on very low levels, with stock cpu cooler. I don't see how this is a bad motherboard for overclocking, i think its pretty decent, its my cpu silicone that hit the wall.
Btw tested pubg, game crashes at launch with ANY cpu overclock applied :p Dunno if it is a game or what.... it can run aida64 all day long, but can't launch PUBG even at 4,0 Ghz. I just abandoned it, fuck it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.