[SOLVED] Max Payne Original PC Game On CD/DVD Wont Install Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Pinball-Wizard

Honorable
Feb 15, 2015
I have Windows 8.1 64-bit and out of the MANY older pc games I have bought and installed on this operating system over the past year, I NEVER had a problem installing them until now.

Immediately after sticking the Max Payne disc in the drive I get a blue banner pop-up warning saying windows cant run this app.

I searched and searched but mostly find everything on Max Payne issues related to Steam's download from their website whereby people have the type of issues concerning they can install it but then not play it, where as I have the original Max Payne cd/dvd and it won't even install in order for me to even have the chance to mess with compatibility settings, that is if there was any after installing the game.

I already tried copying the files from the cd/dvd and putting them into a folder on the desktop and then trying to install from but it dont work.
I tried going to properties and run the install as administrator but it dont work.
People said to go download and install the patch and gave a link but this obviously WONT work if the user can't even install the game in order to install the patch to it.

In case it matters, I have a Z97-A motherboard, i5 4690K processor, Evga 1060 SC 3g graphics card, 16gb RAM

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...I bought Far Cry 2 and WOW it SUCKS having you endlessly driving and running around to get this and that and having to inject yourself every 10 minutes with a malaria shot to keep from dropping dead, and so I just got Max Payne delivered a few days ago and desperate to finally get to play this new game!

Solution
According to my go-to first check source, PCGamingWiki, the game will even run on W10. It DOES however say on W 7 and later to "Run Disk1\setup.exe from the disc instead" to install.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Max_Payne#Issues_fixed

This means you must open the game folder on your DVD drive and manually click the setup.exe. Note that often on older games it helps to right click the exe and choose run as administrator as well.
According to my go-to first check source, PCGamingWiki, the game will even run on W10. It DOES however say on W 7 and later to "Run Disk1\setup.exe from the disc instead" to install.

This means you must open the game folder on your DVD drive and manually click the setup.exe. Note that often on older games it helps to right click the exe and choose run as administrator as well.

Reactions: Pinball-Wizard
Solution

Pinball-Wizard

Honorable
Feb 15, 2015

If anyone hasn't said YOU are AWESOME lately, let me be the first !!!!

It worked exactly like you said!

Not only did it install without ANY problems, the game also started up without any problems so far

I think the only thing(s) that might need some adjusting are the screen resolutions and minor stuff

WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

Now I just gotta figure out why Max Payne 2 installed without any problems but then appcrashes every time on start up. I even tried every compatibility setting including Windows 98 and ME but still no luck