Question Max power consumption for OEM chip

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I purchased a used Ryzen 7 5800 (not a 5800x but a 5800) which has a max TDP of 65w as opposed to the 5800x’s 105. Very happy with it, performs within a few percent of the 5800x but much more efficient. With PBO enabled and running the cpu test in TimeSpy, I was seeing wattage bumped up to about 80w - can I expect the CPU to consume very much more than this in other intensive tasks, or is that about where it’s going to top out? I’m being the likelihood of hitting 100w is a bit less than hitting the MegaMillions jackpot?

Lutfij

Titan
What sort of cooling do you have on the processor? PSU's make and model and age? I think you should be fine with what you're seeing in terms of temps...although they will be higher when you get into Summer(provided it's not warm or hot where you are now). Motherboard's make and model and BIOS version?

Reactions: TM1172

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
What sort of cooling do you have on the processor? PSU's make and model and age? I think you should be fine with what you're seeing in terms of temps...although they will be higher when you get into Summer(provided it's not warm or hot where you are now). Motherboard's make and model and BIOS version?
Cooler: Arctic liquid freezer II 280
PSU: Superflower Leadex III 850 Gold, about 5 months old
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WiFi, bios f36e

I’m pretty comfy with the temps I’m seeing - sorry if there was confusion, I’m wondering if 80w is about all the CPU will consume at its most intense. I live in Japan and it’s comfy now but it’s going to be nasty come summertime. Just debating the pros and cons of switching to an air cooler. I like the liquid Freezer but with such a low wattage pull I could probably get away with air, unless it’s going to boost crazy high.