[SOLVED] Max Power Usage of system, and good PSU wattage recomendation

Aug 4, 2019
Hello,
am currently looking to update my computer's gpu to a rx 570 as the 750 ti doesnt seem to be enough anymore. So far I have been trying to find out the max draw for the psu.
The following are my estimates from maximum power draw at peak.
hdd=25w *2

ssd=25w*1

ram=2x 4gb sticks,
and 2*8gb sticks, so around 12 watts total?

120mm fans , included that of cooler= 2w * 5fans

ryzen 1800x= 141W under load (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-11.html ), this is since I use this computer as a workstation as well, and it reaches around 97% usage occasionally. Note: I never overclocked the 1800x, but I like to keep the window open, in case I wish to in the future.

motherboard, Gigabyte aorus GA-AX370 gaming k7= 176 w (https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8237/gigabyte-x370-gaming-k7-motherboard-review/index10.html ), seems extreme, but just to be safe. Why would it even use that much??

rx 570= 157w (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-570-4gb,5028-15.html )

This brings the total to around 571 watts, though I do understand that most likely it will never reach this point.
I currently have a 600 watt power supply, would that be good enough, since I am thinking it will usually use much less that 571 w?

Or do I need to upgrade the power supply to a 700 watt one? What if I get a gtx 1060 isntead (maybe around 120 watts instead of 157)?

Thank you,
Any help is appreciated

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!
I currently have a 600 watt power supply
The most important question for this, is what exact make and model 600W is it?

You're correct that you probably won't ever hit that load, as it really is peak load. However I'd highly suspect you could fairly easily hit 450/500 in some cases, in which case I'd prefer a 650W myself, but as I said, a GOOD QUALITY 600W might be fine, a bad quality one, no.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!
I currently have a 600 watt power supply
The most important question for this, is what exact make and model 600W is it?

You're correct that you probably won't ever hit that load, as it really is peak load. However I'd highly suspect you could fairly easily hit 450/500 in some cases, in which case I'd prefer a 650W myself, but as I said, a GOOD QUALITY 600W might be fine, a bad quality one, no.

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello, Thank you for your response and your welcome :D

I currently have this one:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EON40CS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , a EVGA 600 B1. which as far as I understand is from their lower tier of products?
Yes it was a more entry level unit.
It certainly wasn't bad, but my understanding is this was about 5 or so years ago, and my understanding is also that in comparison to many others, it really isn't great, but good for the price you would've paid.

I believe you can tell a lot about the quality of a PSU by it's warranty.

Anything 3 years and less is concerning and I would probably never touch myself.
Anything 5 years and less is decent enough, but sometimes questionable.
Then you'll have some of the best that can be around 7 to 10+ years.

And the B1 is a 3 year warranty. So based on the age, I'd probably prefer to get an upgrade sooner rather than later. But I suspect for a bit you'd be fine. I just know the B1 has a shorter life span.

Aug 4, 2019
Yes, I believe you are right. I had a corsair cx, and it lasted only about 3 years, but for my previous pc. This evga psu is around 2 years now.
Problem I usually have a tight budget, so I try to go for the cheapest, that has pretty good reviews, and that dont seem like there is a very high chance taking out my pc with it. I think I'll go for a 5 year warranty one then. Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes, I believe you are right. I had a corsair cx, and it lasted only about 3 years, but for my previous pc. This evga psu is around 2 years now.
Problem I usually have a tight budget, so I try to go for the cheapest, that has pretty good reviews, and that dont seem like there is a very high chance taking out my pc with it. I think I'll go for a 5 year warranty one then. Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
It's just food for thought, but i see the higher quality ones as investment.

For example:

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $89.99 - 10 year warranty = $8.99 p/annum.

Power Supply:
Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $69.99 - 7 year warranty - $9.99 p/annum

Power Supply:
Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($67.64 @ OutletPC)
Total: $67.64 - 5 year warranty - $13.53 p/annum.

You technically end up spending more. But i appreciate budgets, but it's just food for thought.
The CX is usually the cheapest PSU worth recommending that's still decent quality, but it's not as good as the other 2 above, or the Seasonic FOCUS Plus, Supernova G2/G3 etc.

Aug 4, 2019
I guess I'll wait a while before making any decisions regarding the power supply., since I might have to think about how long I am planning to use this system for, plus I might be able to go a bit above my budget if a wait. Thank you, there's quite a bit to consider. I'll go look through whats available later today.

Reactions: PC Tailor