[SOLVED] Max resolution for "Recommended DPI: 100%"

Michael20

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
Hello,

I've recently replaced my old 1360x768 (19 inch) monitor with a 2560x1440 one (23.8 inch, LENOVO L24q-30).

Setting the DPI to the recommended 125%, the icons are re-scaled and I don't like it.
(16x16 or 24x24 images in my applications are "stretched").

Setting the DPI to 100%, everything is too small.

Is it possible to get a decent display and keep the original images size?

If not, what's the max resolution for which the "Recommended DPI" is 100%?
IOW - I'm looking for a monitor with the highest possible resolution which would still keep my images in-scaled.

I'd appreciate your help.

Solution
Old monitor is about 84 pixels per inch
new monitor is about 123

That would correspond to about a 145% scaling setting if my math is right, for images to be about the same size.

And yes it takes a little getting used to the increased resolution. We had the same problem here at work going from 768 to 1080, everyone complaining things are too small. & now if you try to gIve them an 768 display as a secondary they complain everything is too big and they cant 'see' enough on the desktop.

What ever your return period is, if you don't like it before then go ahead and exchange it for a 1080 of a larger 27" 1440.

popatim

Titan
Try about 110-115%
You'll need to set the scaling manually though
  • Right click on a blank part of the desktop and select 'Display Settings'
  • Scroll down and click the 'Advanced scaling settings'
  • Set the value and click Apply.
  • Log out/in or restart your PC.

Michael20

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
@boju and @popatim,

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

I tried various combinations of resolution and DPI but couldn't get the original images size.

Should there be an exact ratio?
If not, and assuming I'd need to replace the monitor, what are the factors that would guarantee the "original images size"?
Does size matter? :) I mean: up to 19.5 inch? Or more?
Is it only 1360x768? 1600x900?

popatim

Titan
Old monitor is about 84 pixels per inch
new monitor is about 123

That would correspond to about a 145% scaling setting if my math is right, for images to be about the same size.

And yes it takes a little getting used to the increased resolution. We had the same problem here at work going from 768 to 1080, everyone complaining things are too small. & now if you try to gIve them an 768 display as a secondary they complain everything is too big and they cant 'see' enough on the desktop.

What ever your return period is, if you don't like it before then go ahead and exchange it for a 1080 of a larger 27" 1440.

Solution

Michael20

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
The only options I have are:

5.png

I'll have to play with it.

Thanks again. I do appreciate it.