Max resolution not reached on 4k monitor

humancatpost

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
I recently purchased and installed a Radeon R9 295x2 video card. Upon starting up the computer and installing the necessary AMD drivers for the card, I noticed that the highest resolution I am allowed to reach is 1920x1080. Before the new card, I was able to bump it up to 3840x2160, my monitor's native resolution. AT first I assumed it was an issue with the drivers, so I did a complete wipe of them, and even ran a cleanup utility to make sure every trace of them were gone before reinstalling from the disk that came packaged with the card. I still ran into the same issue after the reinstall. I tried reinstalling the driver for the monitor as well, but to no avail. Not sure if this is relevant, as I'm fairly new to this, but the monitor used to be connected via a DisplayPort Cable, but it is now connected via HDMI to an HDMI to Mini DP adapter, as that was all the video card came with. I've been trying to figure this out all night but haven't hit the solution yet. The card works perfectly fine otherwise, runs games great. It's probably an easy fix that has gone right over my head, but if anyone out there has a solution, I'd love to hear it!

Solution
Unless you are using HDMI 2.0 adapters and your monitor is HDMI 2.0 (which is highly unlikely), then you will not be able to get 4k 60Hz. Only HDMI 2.0 and displayport support 4k at 60 Hz, so you would need to be using that to reach your maximum resolution.

xcrossroadsx

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Unless you are using HDMI 2.0 adapters and your monitor is HDMI 2.0 (which is highly unlikely), then you will not be able to get 4k 60Hz. Only HDMI 2.0 and displayport support 4k at 60 Hz, so you would need to be using that to reach your maximum resolution.

Solution