Question Max Turbo Frequency

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, what does the Max Turbo Frequency mean in an intel CPU? is it the fastest it can handle if overclocking? or can a CPU do this speed using the stock cooling it comes with? Can the CPU be over clocked above the max turbo frequency if you cool it enough?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's the max speed it can do out of the box - not necessarily on stock cooling. A i9-9900K has a max turbo of 5GHz, but does not ship with a stock cooler.

Typically, there are different levels of "max turbo". The one specified is usually single-core only though, and the "max" is lower the more cores you load up.

Using the 9900K again, the max turbo is 5GHz on 2 cores, 4.8GHz on 4, and 4.7GHz on all 8.
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i9/i9-9900k

Overclocking results are never guaranteed, and would never be stated as a "max" in any marketing. Yes, you certainly have a chance of OCing a chip beyond the max turbo listed, provided thermal/voltage headroom etc.

An "overclock" on a 9900K would be something as simple (sounding) as 5GHz all-cores, as it's above the stock, out of the box operation.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
so if I buy an i7 for example, use the stock cooler, plug it into the motherboard and turn on the machine without doing any overlocking, the speed of the CPU would be the "base frequency" and if I get a much better cooler and over clock it, the highest i can possibly go (assuming its cooled enough) is the "max turbo frequency"?

Jan 27, 2019
CPU will increase it's speed dynamically based on what are you doing. When the app just need 3.2Ghz it will stay at based clock and when heavier app need more speed the CPU will increase automatically depend on what the app need.